When you're a celebrity, criticism and negative headlines are often consequences of the job. While the critical attention celebs receive is sometimes earned, there are also plenty who are put through the metaphorical ringer for reasons that are totally uncalled for or unfair.
So, here are 16 celebs who fans pointed out were treated terribly by the media and their online critics:
1. "Lil Nas X is a Black, gay rapper in a notoriously anti-gay industry, and on top of that, he gets constant criticism from right wing news and random people online."
5. "The amount of hate and racist comments BTS receive from not only the audience but also the media on a daily basis is so toxic. Recently a German radio host made racist remarks by comparing them to COVID-19."
8. "Lady Gaga deserves a mention as well. For the better part of her career, people were going around calling her a freak just because they couldn’t handle her eccentricity and weirdness."
12. "Louis Tomlinson was called the 'weakest member of the band' and was told he had the 'weakest voice' in One Direction."
14. "Piers Morgan had Hayley Hughes from Love Island on his show. He was asking her if she’d read about physics and trying to humiliate her for not knowing about it."
16. And finally: "When Jennifer Lawrence's nudes were leaked, it was just gross how people acted toward her."
Note: Some responses have been edited for length/clarity.