8. Who will stand by the first out gay male major leaguer?
While there are no out male athletes in the major league sports world today, the closeted athlete may have more friends than he realizes. Among pro ballers, the straight part of the gay-straight alliance is finally getting itself off the ground.
9. What happens when you legalize same-sex marriage?
For starters: There are lots of tears. Relive one of the most emotionally exhausting days of Matt Stopera’s life when 138 couples got married in downtown Seattle on the first day gay marriage became legal. (Seriously, it was intense.)
12. What happens when the president steps up to the plate?
We get a leader who isn’t afraid to take a stance on LGBT issues: “One of the things that I’m very proud of during my first four years is I think I’ve helped to solidify this incredibly rapid transformation in people’s attitudes around LGBT issues — how we think about gays and lesbians and transgender persons,” Obama said in his Time profile. And he earned it.
13. What states could see marriage equality in 2013?
The Supreme Court is hearing cases about California’s Proposition 8 and the Defense of Marriage Act in the spring. And there are at least seven states LGBT advocates want to move to the “marriage equality” column by June, when the court’s big decisions traditionally are released.
14. Was 2012 the gayest year yet?
In one word: Yes.
60 Reasons To Be Proud In 2012
60 Powerful Steps Forward For Equality
The 12 Best Gay Ads Of 2012
16 Of The Most Beautiful Weddings Of The Year
The Year Hip-Hop Went Queer
16 Stars On What Coming Out Means To Them
6 Stand Out Web Series Of 2012
25 Ways Anderson Cooper Kicked Ass This Year
23 Times Neil Patrick Harris Did Something Legendary In 2012
- President Trump laid out an ambitious agenda in his speech to Congress, but Republicans are still divided on how to pass that agenda.
- The FBI is investigating if bomb threats against Jewish centers came from an internet "troll" and are profiling a lone, young, tech-savvy person.
- Facebook is using artificial intelligence for suicide prevention, scanning feeds for signs of people at risk of self-harm, then offering resources for help.
- Uber's CEO said he's "seeking leadership help" after dash-cam footage was published of him aggressively arguing with a company driver 😳