Friends, it has been A YEAR.
But it turns out, some good stuff happened! So as we head into the new year, let's take a moment to consider a few of the reasons to love 2017:
2. Hidden Figures shined a spotlight on black female mathematicians at NASA.
4. Fiona the Hippo reigned supreme.
5. Get Out became an instant classic.
6. We learned that Melissa McCarthy was basically born to play the role of Sean Spicer.
7. Wonder Woman sprinted into No Man’s Land.
(And we got a new hero.)
8. The Babadook assumed his rightful place as LGBT icon.
9. Rihanna dropped Fenty Beauty.
10. The story of the Radium Girls went viral.
11. We all reclaimed our time.
12. And we did so many sheet masks.
13. People in the United States gathered together to watch the eclipse.
14. Men got to experience the joy of rompers.
16. And we got our first-ever black Bachelorette.
17. A new generation got our very own Hollywood-actress-turned-princess-story.
18. Dua Lipa’s “New Rules” was both an anthem and a bop.
19. Kesha’s “Praying” brought us all to our knees.
20. “Despacito” was an unprecedented smash hit.
21. Cardi B became the first female solo rapper to have a #1 song since 1998.
22. Also, just...Cardi B in general.
23. Everyone went bonkers for HQ Trivia.
24. And Unicorn Frapps.
25. We finally got an answer to the question “What would happen if they read the wrong name on the card at the Oscars?”
26. Also...Moonlight won!
27. The Big Sick reminded us that love is worth the fight.
28. Girls’ Trip was a blast.
29. And Coco made us weep in the best possible way.
30. Aziz Ansari and Lena Waithe gave us the “Thanksgiving” episode of Master of None.
31. And then Lena Waithe made an incredibly moving speech when she accepted an Emmy for it.
32. We got Thor: Ragnarok — and Taika Waititi's amazing outfits.
33. Hasan Minaj dropped the mic at the White House Correspondents’ dinner.
34. Angie Thomas's The Hate U Give was a #1 New York Times bestseller.
35. Fidget spinners gave us something to do with our hands besides yell at each other on Twitter.
36. And Instagram Stories showed us a sliiiiightly less filtered version of one another (and ourselves).
37. We met the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling through GLOW.
38. And the gorgeous homes (and people) of Monterey on Big Little Lies.
39. Also, Laura Dern in general was pretty great.
40. And the third season of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend was really good.
41. There was Insecure Season 2.
42. And The Good Place Season 2.
43. And Queen Sugar Season 2.
44. Also! Stranger Things Season 2.
45. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel gave us a new TV heroine to root for.
47. And made some pretty amazing protests signs.
48. People in California were able to get a year’s supply of birth control at once — and soon may be able to elsewhere.
49. Danica Roem became Virginia’s first openly transgender lawmaker.
50. And she beat an incumbent who had drafted an anti-trans "bathroom bill," and who had refused to debate her.
51. In Minneapolis, Andrea Jenkins became America’s first openly transgender woman of color elected to public office.
52. Hoboken's Ravi Bhalla won the mayoral race, and will be New Jersey's first Sikh mayor.
53. And Montanans elected the state's first-ever (!!!) black mayor: Wilmot Collins, of Helena — who also happens to be a Liberian refugee.
54. Oh and Australia legalized same-sex marriage.