51 Of The Most Incredible Song Lyrics Ever Written
"Limitless, undying love, which shines around me like a million suns. It calls me on and on, across the universe."
2. "Maybe there's a God above, but all I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who outdrew ya. And it's not a cry that you hear at night. It's not somebody who's seen the light. It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah."
—Leonard Cohen (verse sung by Jeff Buckley), "Hallelujah"
Suggested by lrymgn
3. "Let me tell you what I wish I'd known when I was young and dreamed of glory: You have no control who lives, who dies who tells your story."
—Hamilton, "Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story"
Suggested by colleend9
4. "And you could have it all. My empire of dirt. I will let you down. I will make you hurt. If I could start again, a million miles away, I would keep myself. I would find a way."
—Nine Inch Nails, "Hurt"
Suggested by s4bb472acb
5. “Don’t worry where we end up. Ending-up’s not real. The life we build, we never stop creating”
—Jimmy Eat World, "Delivery"
Suggested by natashaldn92
8. "So, I never fell for Vietnam. We got the wall of D.C. to remind us all that you can't trust freedom when it's not in your hands. When everybody's fighting for their promised land."
—Guns N' Roses, "Civil War"
Suggested by neb377
9. "I wrapped my arms around the moment like I'm clutching a memory; You, alive in your madness, in love with the night."
—The Wonder Years, "The Bluest Things On Earth"
Suggested by superwittyusername
10. “But you know that when the truth is told, that you can get what you want, or you can just get old.”
—Billy Joel, "Vienna"
Suggested by kellyb82
12. “Idealism sits in prison, chivalry fell on its sword. Innocence died screaming, honey, ask me, I should know.”
—Hozier, “From Eden”
Suggested by brooklynchavez546
13. "And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears and love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears. Get over your hill and see what you find there, with grace in your heart and flowers in your hair."
—Mumford & Sons, "After The Storm"
Suggested by freshlatte91
14. "So much of me is made of what I learned from you. You'll be with me, like a handprint on my heart."
—Wicked, "For Good"
Suggested by beatrixmenegakis
15. "My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies. Fairytales of yesterday grow, but never die. I can fly, my friends."
—Queen, "The Show Must Go On"
Suggested by puss_pastry
17. "You can think that you're in love when you're really just in pain."
—Ashe, "Moral of the Story"
Suggested by vcox0498
18. "And, if you listen very hard, the tune will come to you at last. When all are one and one is all, to be a rock and not to roll. And she's buying a stairway to Heaven."
—Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"
Suggested by neb377
19. "Did you see the frightened ones? Did you hear the falling bombs? Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky?"
—Pink Floyd, "Goodbye Blue Sky"
Suggested by e406d476b3
20. "What's the problem with the world today? The land of the free, somebody lied."
—Prince, "Call My Name"
Suggested by blacklammybear
22. "If I had a box just for wishes and dreams that had never come true, the box would be empty, except for the memory of how they were answered by you."
—Jim Croce, "Time in a Bottle"
Suggested by pumpkin_lindsay
23. "The storms are raging on the rolling sea and on the highway of regret. The winds of change are blowing wild and free. You ain't seen nothing like me yet."
—Bob Dylan, "To Make You Feel My Love"
Suggested by kathyw410e2d4b7
24. “Sounds of laughter, shades of life are ringing through my open ears, inciting and inviting me. Limitless, undying love, which shines around me like a million suns. It calls me on and on, across the universe.”
—The Beatles, "Across The Universe"
Suggested by gogogirl74
25. "Just as time knew to move on since the beginning, and the seasons know exactly when to change. Just as kindness knows no shame, know through all your joy and pain, that I'll be loving you always.”
—Stevie Wonder, "As"
Suggested by ariellej4
27. "I see friends shaking hands, saying, 'How do you do.' They're really saying, 'I love you.'"
—Louis Armstrong, "What a Wonderful World"
Suggested by hiitsnicetomeetyou
28. "It's been a long dark night, and I've been a waitin' for the morning. It's been a long hard fight, but I see a brand new day a dawning."
—Dolly Parton, "Light of a Clear Blue Morning"
Suggested by emmanz
29. "Somebody crowd me with love. Somebody force me to care. Somebody let me come through. I'll always be there, as frightened as you, to help us survive being alive."
—Company, "Being Alive"
Suggested by emmanz
30. "We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl. Year after year, running over the same old ground. What have we found?"
—Pink Floyd, "Wish You Were Here"
Suggested by smokingkrillz
32. "Did you ever know that you're my hero? You're everything I wish I could be. I could fly higher than an eagle, for you are the wind beneath my wings."
—Bette Midler, "Wind Beneath My Wings"
Suggested by jennies4783ed5b8
33. "Many times I've been alone, and many times I've cried. Anyway, you'll never know the many ways I've tried. And still they lead me back to the long, winding road."
—The Beatles, "The Long and Winding Road"
Suggested by megana459810788
34. “If you really want to free me, tell my mummy that she’s pretty. Melanin is not your enemy.”
—Joy Crookes, "Power"
Suggested by ilovethewordhello
36. "He says, 'Son, can you play me a memory? I'm not really sure how it goes. But it's sad and it's sweet and I knew it complete when I wore a younger man's clothes.'"
—Billy Joel, "Piano Man"
Suggested by megana459810788
37. “Hey, you call me up again just to break me like a promise. So casually cruel in the name of being honest."
—Taylor Swift, "All Too Well"
Suggested by taylors42375c9d6
38. "You can't always get what you want. But, if you try sometime, you find you get what you need."
—The Rolling Stones, "You Can't Always Get What You Want"
Suggested by isthatmesandwich
40. “You fill up my senses like a night in a forest, like the mountains in springtime, like a walk in the rain, like a storm in the desert, like a sleepy blue ocean. You fill up my senses. Come fill me again.”
—John Denver, "Annie's Song (You Fill Up My Senses)"
Suggested by jasminemayforth
41. "So I close my eyes softly, 'til I become that part of the wind that we all long for sometime, yeah. And to those that I love, like a ghost through a fog, like a charmed hour, and a haunted song, and the angel of my dreams."
—Stevie Nicks, "Angel"
Suggested by witchbitxh
42. “Look at the way we live. I wasn't hidin' my kid from the world, I was hidin' the world from my kid. From empty souls who just wake up and look to debate. Until you starin' at your seed, you can never relate.”
Suggested by jaylanevans
43. "Onward to the eastern skies, with bluing effort kiss the seas. I sigh in place for those blue eyes that have hope and love for me. For they obey, have stolen away, that heart that truly once was mine. Like some lone bird without a mate, my weary heart is desolate."
—The Carter Family, "I Never Loved But One"
Suggested by larssona19
45. “I am the one thing in life I can control. I am inimitable; I am an original. I’m not falling behind or running late. I’m not standing still: I am lying in wait.”
—Hamilton, "Wait for It"
Suggested by zoep123
46. "They told me all of my cages were mental, so I got wasted like all my potential."
—Taylor Swift, "this is me trying"
Suggested by haleyhastings2003
47. "I took my love, took it down. I climbed a mountain, and I turned around. And I saw my reflection in the snow-covered hills, 'til the landslide brought me down."
—Fleetwood Mac, "Landslide"
Suggested by fannyfolye
49. “There are places I'll remember all my life, though some have changed. Some forever, not for better. Some have gone, and some remain. All these places had their moments with lovers and friends, I still can recall. Some are dead, and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.”
—The Beatles, "In My Life"
Suggested by ccvalentinemusic
50. “Will you stay with me? Will you be my love among the fields of barley? We'll forget the sun in his jealous sky as we lie in fields of gold. See the west wind move like a lover, so upon the fields of barley. Feel her body rise when you kiss her mouth among the fields of gold.”
—Sting, "Fields of Gold"
Suggested by mounit
51. "May you grow up to be righteous. May you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth, and see the light surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong. May you stay forever young."
—Bob Dylan, "Forever Young"
Suggested by gddobrogosz
Do you have a special song lyric that didn't make it into this post? Drop it in the comments below!
Note: Submissions have been edited for length and clarity.