42 Beauty Products That'll Make You Think "Oh That's Genius"
Jury's still out on whether these hair, skincare, and makeup products were actually developed by magical wizards.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A waterless dry shampoo *foam* — now you can eliminate oil from your roots, give your hair an overall refresh, and even add some volume to your locks, all without that icky white residue normal dry shampoo typically leaves behind.
Promising review: "I have very very fine and fragile hair. It’s wavy (2b to 2c with some 3a curls mixed in) My ends are dry and my scalp gets very oily quickly. When the product arrived I was on second-day hair. I worked the foam through my roots and the sides of my head. The most oily places for me. It was easy to work through and it smells so fresh and clean. My results were amazing! My roots looked clean, no residue or buildup like powder dry shampoos. My scalp does not itch and it gives my fine, flat hair a ton of volume. Also, my hair looks thicker when I use it. I usually can’t go more than a day or two without washing my hair. With this product I was able to go four days without washing my hair." —Amelia Tilton
Get it from Amazon for $4.81+ (available in three formulas).
2. A Schick Silk Touch-Up Tool that removes any peach fuzz on your skin so your foundation looks smoother. You can also use this for quick hair removal in between waxing appointments.
3. A bottle of One Hit Wonder 10-in-1 leave-in spray from Mane Club that truly lives up to its name. Whether you're looking for a heat protectant, detangler, or something to fight frizz, this magical formula has got you covered.
4. A set of LKE Shadow Patches to catch any eyeshadow that falls down while you're applying it. Now you can just take this patch off when you're done instead of wiping away all that eyeshadow fallout and ruining your foundation while you're at it.
Promising review: "I don’t know how I've done my eye makeup without these my whole life! They help so much with eyeshadow fallout it’s wild! There are two stickers on them, but I only do the small top ones since I like to do my foundation before eyeshadow! They’re very sticky and sometimes take off some of my foundation but I’ve found if you first tape it on your hand then onto your face it helps!" —Amazon Customer
Get a 100-pack from Amazon for $12.99.
5. A detangling brush that easily works through any knots in your hair without the usual tugging and pulling of a regular brush. It also has an easy-to-grip handle and flexible bristles that are super gentle on your hair and prevent breakage. Oh! AND it has over 34,000 5-star ratings, so you know it has to be good!
This brush is designed to work on all hair types, but reviewers with 2c through 4c hair say it has worked well for them. It also works on wet *and* dry hair, so you don't have to time out your brushing.
Promising review: "I was really skeptical when I bought this brush, wondering if it was really going to work on super-curly, easy-to-get-tangled hair. It has exceeded my expectations and I can't believe how awesome it actually works. This is great for thick, curly, hard to untangle hair. It doesn't get caught in the snarls and it is so easy to brush hair now." —Kimber Burks
Get it from Amazon for $12.99+ (available in six colors).
6. A tube of retinol night cream formulated to plump up and make your skin look firmer as you're getting some ZZZs. Any beauty product that works hard for us while we're literally asleep is something we can get behind.
7. A tube of Glossier Cloud Paint gel-cream blush that's lightweight, blendable, and won't clog your pores. Use it as part of your full makeup routine or wear the blush by itself for an effortlessly breezy look that takes about 15 seconds to achieve.
8. A L'Oréal *eight-second* lamellar water rinse-out treatment because you don't need to drop half your paycheck at the salon to get a treatment that will make your hair look shiny, moisturized, and strong.
And it's silicone free!
Promising review: "I don’t usually do reviews on products, but for this one I absolutely have to. I have 3c-type hair and struggle with a lot a breakage, unmanageability, and moisture. When my mom mentioned this product to me I didn’t take her seriously because of the simple fact that we have two completely different hair textures. I never would have thought this brand would work on my hair. I have always used ethnic hair products and stayed away from brands such as this one because of the alcohol consumption. I have never in my 22 years felt my hair like this. I feel like I have a completely different head of hair. This product is so amazing and I will FOREVER be using this product in my hair regimen. Thank you so much!! ♥️" —Theressa Hailey
Get it from Amazon for $8.97.
9. A Lay-n-Go cosmetic bag that opens up and lays flat like a mat so you can see all of your products at once. It also has grips for your makeup brushes, and it's easy to wipe down with a wet cloth whenever it gets dirty.
I have had this for years now and it's my go-to travel make-up case! It holds an absurd amount of products, so I never have to compromise and leave any of my favorite makeup products behind on my trips. I love how easily it lays flat, which makes getting ready so much faster since you can see everything at once. It's especially great for getting ready in hotel rooms, where I often find myself sitting on the ground in front of a full-length mirror to put my makeup on. Instead of constantly rummaging through a tiny case, I can grab anything I need in a half a second.
Promising review: "I was tired of fumbling around in my cosmetics case and saw this. I was skeptical, but...WOW! On my recent two-week trip to Europe, with constant laying out and packing up, this item was wonderful. I could find what I wanted quickly, right away. Packing up was just a matter of pulling the drawstring. At first I wasn’t sure about changing to this bag, but now I could not do without it." —Mojosharkey
Get it from Amazon for $19.95+ (available in three sizes and 20 colors/patterns).
10. A set of Lovoir winged eyeliner stamps if you've given it your all and you just CANNOT get your winged liner to look right even after multiple attempts. This will save you from so much frustration during your makeup routine!
Promising review: "Let me start by saying this isn't my first cat-eye rodeo. I've tried the taping method, normal liquid liner, plastic winged stamping devices, stencils, all of it! Well, this gem arrived and I immediately had to try it out, all while laughing at how terrible this would probably turn out...but to my surprise I put the left cat-eye on first and it was perfect. I thought this was a fluke and did the right eye...again, it came out clean and perfect! I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE BEEN ABLE TO DO A CAT-EYE IN UNDER 10 MINUTES, LET ALONE THE TWO MINUTES THIS TOOK TO DO! There were no sloppy streaks that I had to touch up or anything you would expect. Just a clean, crisp line. I can now do a cat-eye EVERY day and look/feel like a badass. Everyone can think I spend hours doing my makeup in the morning." —LadyMeow
Get a set of two from Amazon for $14.97 (available in three sizes).
11. A reusable Revlon Volcanic Face Roller anyone with oily skin will appreciate. Just roll this across any shiny parts of your face, and watch in amazement as all the oil disappears!
12. BYO Blush Oil that infuses a bit of science into its formula. Allow me to elaborate — the color will react to your skin's pH, therefore giving you a beautiful customized shade that complements your skin tone instantly. I'd give this scientific marvel an A+!
Youthforia is an Asian woman–owned small business established in 2020 that specializes in environmentally friendly, cruelty-free makeup made with at least 90% renewable ingredients.
Fun fact: All of Youthforia's makeup is designed with ingredients that make it A-OK for your skin to sleep with it on!
Promising review: "Dewy and glowy. I tried it over makeup and it appeared as a strong pink shade but settled to a flushed, glowy color. I had my little sister try it too because I wanted to see the color change again and it lasted a really long time on her. The texture was smooth and it was easy to rub in and blend out." —Summer
Get it from Youthforia for $36.
13. Peripera Ink Velvet Lip Tint for a natural-looking but long-lasting look without the clumpiness or drying effect that matte lipsticks usually leave you with.
14. A magical makeup-correcting stick to make any mistakes you made while applying your eyeliner, lipliner, or lipstick disappear. It's so much easier (and more friendly!) to use than a Q-tip and doesn't leave behind any smudges or smears.
Promising review: "Why didn’t someone think of this sooner? For years, I’ve been using Q-tips dipped in makeup remover to remove little goofs or mistakes. This is so much better and portable! Erases waterproof mascara marks around my eyes easily. Must-buy product!!" —Katherine Riordan
Get it from Amazon for $7.97.
15. An internet-beloved set of makeup sponges that work with foundation, BB cream, powder, *and* concealer and provide easy application, perfect blending, and great coverage every single time. And I almost forgot to mention they're super budget friendly!
Promising review: "I am VERY picky when it comes to my makeup sponges. For years I would only use a Beautyblender because, to be honest, nothing else compared or gave the same foundation finish. These are truly a game changer! They are not 100% identical to the name brand blender in texture, HOWEVER they DO give the same flawless foundation finish. I would even go as far as to say they soak up less foundation which means you aren't wasting as much product. And can we talk about this price point?!?! Save your hard-earned money and PURCHASE THESE! You won't be disappointed." —Lindsey
Get a set of five from Amazon for $10.99.
16. A lightweight liquid foundation that not only gives you seriously jaw-dropping coverage, but it also actively treats blemishes thanks to the salicylic acid in the formula.
17. A well-loved diffuser attachment for anyone who wants to preserve their bouncy curls but also would love for their hair to be dry in a timely manner. The key to this smart diffuser's design is its extra-large shape and 360-degree air flow that will dry your hair evenly and swiftly, leaving behind full, beautiful curls.
Promising review: "The BEST diffuser on the market! I have naturally wavy hair and have struggled with finding the right diffuser to keep my tresses curly while drying my hair. Using the Black Orchid hair diffuser is what you need if you have wavy to curly hair! You'll still have your curl and won't have frizz after using the Black Orchid!" —BMRGirl
Get it from Amazon for $27.97.
18. A bestselling eyebrow pencil with a double-ended design — use the angled pencil side to fill out your eyebrows and then the spoolie brush to make everything look smooth and blended.
19. Elizavecca CER-100 Collagen Protein Treatment if you're feeling like your processed, damaged hair has seen better days. This will breathe new life into your locks by making it feel fuller, healthier, and silkier thanks to the ceramides and collagen in the formula.
20. A container of Etude House's Zero Sebum Drying Powder designed to keep all the dreaded oil on your skin at bay. You'll have a perfectly matte look even after hours and hours of wearing your makeup!
21. A box of pore-tightening, skin-lifting face masks that might freak you out at first (they make your face look like a zombie!), but once you peel it off, you'll be nothing but pleased at how radiant your skin looks.
Promising review: "At 60 years old I have tried SO MANY products...anything short of surgery to lift and tighten my face. Around the age of 57 my pores became larger and larger. I tried product after product and spent hundreds trying to find that fountain of youth. There is nothing like going into a store with sales people younger than my grandchildren telling me what I'm doing 'wrong' with my skincare regimen. They had never seen a wrinkle in their lives. I thought I would give this face mask a shot. I mean what did I have to lose? Immediate results! I couldn't believe it! My pores were small; my face was different...and in a good way...LOL. I can't believe my skin looks so good. I'm so excited. I had to write a review. I don't think you'll be sorry if you decide to try this. I know I sure wasn't!" —Judi Bragg
Get a box of eight masks from Amazon for $29.80.
22. An eye primer because you don't want to spend precious time perfecting your eyeshadow just for it to be faded and creased by lunchtime. Look how fantastic that reviewer's eye makeup looks after 10 hours of wear!!
Promising review: "So let me start by saying I have used nearly every eyeshadow primer available. From high end to low...they don't hold a candle to Thank Me Later. I have very oily skin. Using this primer, shadow lasts a full eight hours or more. I could get maybe five or six out of the other brands if I was lucky. I got this as a sample in my Ipsy bag, and I had to buy the full-size product straightaway! I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Thank you, Elizabeth Mott, for finally making a primer that lasts! I love this stuff!" —Melissa Mae
Get it from Amazon for $13.75.
23. Fluide's Universal Crayon that packs a highly pigmented punch to your lids, lips, or cheekbones. Now it's possible to put on a full monochromatic makeup look with just one product!
Fluide is a queer-owned and woman-owned business specializing in vegan, cruelty-free, and paraben-free cosmetics.
Promising review: "I'm a huge fan of quick and easy enhancements and it doesn't get any easier than this. Drag across your eyelids, lips, rub into your cheeks and nose for a fabulous rosy shimmer." —Teneca Kennedy
24. A Revlon hot-air brush magically designed to dry and style hair with just a few passes. It'll create bouncy, shiny hair in about a quarter of the time it would take with a traditional blow-dryer and round brush.
Promising review: "First-time review and it’s because I’m so happy with this dryer/styler! My hair is about shoulder length, very fine with a slight curl, and now it has some gray to it. It’s also frizzy, no matter what I use. I’m 61 years old so trust me, I’ve used a lot of products! Never have I been able to get my hair to look like it did after leaving the salon, EXCEPT after using this. I watched some YouTube videos first for some pointers, and then I gave it a try. It’s easy to use, even though it’s bigger than I thought it would be. My hair came out beautiful! Smooth, soft, no frizz, and lots of volume. Hope this review helps you, anyone out there who has similar hair!" —Anon anon
Get it from Amazon for $34.88+ (available in seven colors).
25. The highly effective Bio-Oil that works wonders to help fade scars (both old and new ones) and moisturize your skin without clogging your pores. It's especially beneficial to anyone who lives in dry climates and needs a hydrating boost for their skin.
Psst! Bio-Oil contains retinol, which accelerates skin turnover but can make you more sensitive to the sun — so don't forget your sunscreen!
Promising review: "Bio-Oil is the BEST skin product on the market. I use it as a twice a day — morning and before I go to bed. Small lines have disappeared. My skin is very smooth and seems to glow. A doctor recommended this to one of my friends who told me about it. I have bought several bottles as gifts. Be patient. It will take a few months for you to see notice the changes. I am 71 years old. No one paid me to write this." —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $8.92+ (available in three sizes).
26. A bottle of sulfate-free biotin shampoo infused with botanical extracts that work to thicken and hydrate your hair. It's also a clarifying shampoo, which means it will get rid of any product buildup on your scalp.
Promising review: "I love this shampoo! I had gastric sleeve surgery and my hair was very, very thin. I started taking biotin and switched to biotin shampoo as recommended by my doctor. It doesn’t make your hair grow by washing it but it makes your hair and roots stronger. And it worked. After using the whole bottle, my hair was stronger. I had a lot of new growth that was sticking around (the previous new growth fell out early on) and my hair was getting thicker. Eight months later, my hair is back to normal. It's longer and thicker than ever. I still use it twice a week and love it! I’m not wild about the way it smells but others love it when they smell my hair." —Diane J. Huff
Get it from Amazon for $9.85.
27. A razor bump treatment to banish those painful, itchy bumps that pop up post-shaving. It'll also help fight against those pesky ingrown hairs.
After shaving, apply evenly onto dry, just shaved areas. If you're dealing with bumps or ingrown hair, apply on the affected area twice a day, onto a clean, dry face. Repeat daily.
Frederick Benjamin is a Black-owned small business based in New York City that specializes in grooming products specifically designed for Black men who struggle with ingrown hairs and razor bumps.
Get it from Frederick Benjamin for $18.
28. A cruelty-free vitamin C serum designed to brighten up dark spots and help correct pigmentation issues. Reviewers rave about how even their skin looks and how soft their face feels after using the serum for just a few days.
Promising review: "It's a miracle in a bottle that we all been searching for. I been suffering from acne since I was a high schooler. I've tried many acne related products and medications but nothing worked, not to mention it just made my skin worse. Until I came across this vitamin C serum. It faded my scars away, healed any ongoing acne faster, gave my skin the dewy glow, and keeps my skin moisturized (I don't use any other moisturizers)." —kihoon
Get a 2-oz. bottle from Amazon for $35.99.
29. A purple shampoo to remove any unwanted yellow tones in your blonde hair. This is a necessity if you spend major $$ at the salon to dye your hair and you want it to keep looking as great as it did on Day 1.
Promising review: "This stuff is a godsend! I used to have red hair and decided to get a blonde balayage. It took two visits to get my hair lightened to where it looked blonde and not gold, but it still had lots of gold in it. Now my hair is finally blonde and not gold! I’m so happy! Plus this stuff smells amazing and makes my hair so soft and shiny and voluminous with lots of body!" —KatEd
Get it from Amazon for $9.79.
And check out our full write-up on this Fanola No Yellow Shampoo to learn more.
30. A cult-favorite clay mask — it might just trick you into thinking you just got a facial from the spa as it gets deep into your pores and leaves you feeling refreshed. Many reviewers have noticed clearer skin and fewer breakouts after using this mask regularly.
There is a bit of mixing involved — you'll need to add some apple cider vinegar for it to do its best work. This product is cruelty-free and formulated without additives or fragrances.
Promising review: "I first want to share that I typically don’t share reviews but this product has truly helped clear my skin. My adult acne has been out of control for some time now. I’ve tried everything including hormone therapy, which didn’t help. I’ve ended up with a scarred face from so much picking at my acne. I’m sooo amazed by this mask. Yes it dries your face but a good moisturizer does the trick. So thankful for this product. I do masks all the time. Most recent was a black tea mask. It cleaned up my blackheads, but my acne remained. This seems to be doing the trick! Try it out! You won’t regret it." —Danielle Torres
Get it from Amazon for $14.95 (available in two sizes).
Check out more details about this popular clay mask.
31. A set of flexible curling rods if you love the look that hot rollers give you but hate how bulky and uncomfortable they can be. These are easy to put in, provide long-lasting, bouncy curls, and they're so comfortable, you could even wear them to sleep.
Promising review: "I love these rollers. My hair is very thin and the hot rollers and dryer that I have been using further destroyed my hair. These rollers are easy to use. I put a little water on each section, roll, and usually wait two hours. My curls are great and stay all day." —The Sutherlands
Get 42 rods from Amazon for $13.99.
32. Ownest Cosmetics eyebrow soap because fluffy, full brows are all the rage right now, and this will help you achieve that look in minutes. Plus: Reviewers say your brows will stay in place all day long with this soap!
Promising review: "I have the kind of eyebrows that look very full with brushing, but can quickly look like one has 'collapsed' once my hair or something else touches it. I’ve used nearly every product from Anastasia BH, but never had luck keeping my brows in place. Well, let me tell you, this stuff is no joke. I had to scrub my eyebrows clean tonight to get them to move. If you need some help holding your fluff, this will be your new favorite product. Also, I was able to ditch the eyebrow pencil since this stuff holds every hair in the place you brush it." —Bailey M, Deacon
Get it from Amazon for $7.98.