We recently asked members of the BuzzFeed Community to tell us the best thing about living in the '90s. The results were very nostalgia inducing:
1. "Driving to the mall on Friday night with friends and not knowing who else might be there. It was thrilling wondering if you would run into your crush — and not knowing because no one had phones or social media."
2. "POGS! Nothing like low-key gambling on the playground during recess."
3. "Being around when Pixar first started and growing up with the movies they've released over the years."
4. "Those clear phones where you could see all the colorful wires. I know it’s such a weird, randomly specific thing, but it’s one of the things I miss most from my childhood that I wish I kept as I got older."
5. "Developing photos! The excitement of opening the envelope and seeing what memory you captured was a thrill. Everyone would flock to you when they saw you had photos."
6. "Not having to maintain an 'online image' or prove to others that we had interesting or adventurous lives."
7. "Not having people pretending to have the perfect life, face, body, etc. in our faces all day, every day thanks to social media. It was really nice."
8. "Being able to listen in on phone calls, hands down! When my mom was telling my grandma some juicy drama that I wasn't allowed to know about, I would go to a different phone and listen in with my hand over the mouthpiece."
9. "All of the classic Nick shows!"
10. "The way the Internet was so open. You weren’t dealing with mega-corporations back then — it was all just people running their own websites, starting small companies, trying new stuff."
11. "It feels like it was the last time the world wasn’t so scary. Everyone was super excited about what a new millennium would bring, 9/11 hadn’t happened yet, and we were all so full of hope and optimism. I miss that innocence."
12. "Boy bands! It was so much fun growing up listening to NKOTB, Backstreet Boys, 98 Degrees and *NSYNC."
13. "Letters from friends studying abroad or going to college in a different state than you. It was so nice to pick up your mail and see familiar handwriting. Long letters — especially those written over a week or even a month — were the best."
14. "African American representation on television. Martin; Living Single; Fresh Prince; Girlfriends; Half and Half; Sister, Sister; The Arsenio Hall Show; In Living Color."
15. "Going out for dinner with family and friends and not seeing a damn cell phone on the table."
16. "The music of the '90s was the best of any decade. So many different genres and types were popular (hard rock, grunge, rap, pop, hip hop). My personal favorite: Spice Girls. Being a tween girl at the time, the Spice Girls phenomenon took over and it was just fun music and Girl Power!"
17. "Waiting in line for concert tickets and at the record store for new releases. Also waiting in front of MTV for your favorite video to play!"
18. "The clothes — which were horrible and amazing at the same time. Anything went style-wise. I wore pipes jeans, which will probably never come back in style. They were that terribly awesome."
19. "One of my favorite things was watching all of the shows on TGIF every week! My whole family would watch it together after dinner."
20. "American Girl Dolls. Yes, they’re still around and have expanded as far as having giant stores, but they're just not the same. In the '90s, there was something so magical about them."
21. "Space Jam. Michael Jordan (aka the G.O.A.T.), the most famous players in the NBA, and Looney Toons in one movie?! I still get excited when I watch it."
22. "Saddle shoes!"
23. "The weirdness of it all! Spaghetti strap dresses with baby doll tees? Body suits? Blues Traveler being a hugely popular band? Birkenstocks? Tivas? High hair? Pauly Shore? Overalls? Sigh. I miss the '90s."
Want to be featured in future BuzzFeed posts? Follow the BuzzFeed Community on Facebook and Twitter!
Submissions have been edited for length and clarity.