18 Mistakes Hollywood Has Made When It Comes To Portraying Australia
Shrimp on the barbie? Nah, it's prawns.
1. That everyone in Australia can surf.
2. And is super tanned and built like Chris Hemsworth.
3. That Australians love to drink Foster's beer.
4. That New Zealand is part of Australia.
5. That every Australian must know each other, even though there's 25 million of us.
6. That the only cities that exist in Australia are Sydney and Melbourne.
7. That there are spiders and other dangerous animals everywhere and anywhere.
8. That we actually say things like "put another shrimp on the barbie".
9. And that our entire vocabulary is made up of outdated slang that we don't even use.
10. That different cities and states are only a short drive from each other.
11. Which, according to that logic, means that it wouldn't take you that long to drive from one side of Australia to the other.
12. That Australia doesn't get any snow.
13. And the entirety of our landscape is similar to the Outback — dry, dusty and hot.
14. That the entire population live in quaint, countryside towns.
15. And that in these towns, kangaroos would be skipping past daily and everyone is super chilled out.
16. That every Australian sounds like Steve Irwin or Crocodile Dundee.
17. Like seriously, we don't sound like that.
18. And lastly, that the best way to eat Vegemite is to take a big spoonful of it.
Note: Not all submissions are from BuzzFeed Community users.