27 Hair Products That Actually Work And Have The Photographic Evidence To Prove It
If your hair had eyes, they'd be popping out right now.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
2. A biotin shampoo meant to stimulate hair growth so you can welcome back any strands you lost these past few months.
3. A pack of bendy foam curling rods for a traditional way to get awesome curls without the pain of hard plastic rollers.
4. A collagen coating hair protein treatment that takes your dry, tired hair and turns it into the silky soft locks you've always wanted.
Promising review: "My hair used to be really soft, and then I discovered hot tools and hair dye. While my hair looks good I really missed the soft texture. This works so well. There are no instructions on the box but I washed my hair with my usual shampoo, towel-dried it, worked about two quarter-sized dollops through my hair, let it sit for 20 minutes and then rinsed out. I went to bed with wet hair which usually results in my hair being kind of tangled and rough looking but I woke up and my hair was as soft and silky as it was before I started coloring it. I'm totally in love with this product, I have long fine hair but this doesn't leave it greasy or weigh it down. I'll definitely buy again." —Ellie
Get it from Amazon for $7.97.
5. A dandruff shampoo to relieve you of horrible itching and flaking. Welcome black clothing back into your wardrobe!
Promising review: "MIRACLE PRODUCT! If you have a flaky scalp from dandruff, BUY THIS. I was about to go to the dermatologist if this stuff didn’t work. Thank goodness I saved myself hundreds of dollars by giving this product a shot. I used it four of five times (over a month) and it cleared my scalp almost completely. One more use and my scalp will be 120% healed! This stuff blew my mind. Totally worth it." —Chris
Get it from Amazon for $14.15.
6. A creamy deep conditioner for anyone with 3a–4c hair. Thanks to its super-fruit oil formula, it provides a lightweight hold that leaves curls and coils feeling soft and moisturized.
Bread Beauty Supply is a Black woman-owned business that was founded by Maeva Heim in 2020.
Promising review: "LOVE this product! My hair is very dry and frizzy but this product made my hair so much more manageable and soft. I will definitely be getting more once I’m out!" —Nivedhitha
7. A bottle of Fanola No Yellow Shampoo to turn your brassy yellow blonde to a cool ice queen blonde in no time.
Get more info on this impressive shampoo in our deep dive into Fanola No Yellow Shampoo here.
Promising review: "I'm not one to leave reviews, but this product deserves it! Holy cow! I was going to go into the salon to brighten my hair up, but after discovering this product I cancelled my appointment. I'm totally in love! This shampoo is not drying at all and just after two washes, I achieved my desired results! I can't recommend it enough!" —Rachael
Get it from Amazon for $7.45+ (available in three sizes).
8. An argan oil hair serum with vitamin E and aloe vera for shine, because your hair deserves proper nutrition too!
Promising review: "I found this product through a BuzzFeed article for those with frizzy hair and THIS PRODUCT DID NOT DISAPPOINT! I put this serum through the ringer; I got this to stand up to Bay Area fog AND the nasty, humid heat wave we got a couple weeks ago. No frizz, no extra curls. Nothing! On top of that, it made my hair super glossy. I'm very impressed. Heads up though, a little goes a long way. One pump is enough to cover my hair and I have medium length hair." —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $11.99.
9. A bottle of semi-permanent hair dye, because life is short and your hair would totally look cute in pink or green.
10. Or L'Oreal Colorista Semi-Permanent Hair Color to give a gentle pop of pink to blonde or bleached hair.
11. An automatic ceramic curling iron that looks a little scary, but look: Reviewers swear by this gadget as a sure-fire way to get easy curls. Just section off a piece of hair, place it behind the thickest prong, and the device automatically wraps it around the iron for you. Thanks, curling iron!
12. A hair finishing stick to smoosh down all those annoying flyaways that escaped your bun.
13. Or an edge control gel that'll help lay edges and baby hairs for a sleek look without the unwanted flaking and residue.
BUT we want to add that no one should feel pressure to lay their edges, unless they way want to! Check out "Just A Friendly PSA That You Don't HAVE To Lay Your Edges Down If You Don't Wanna."
Promising review: "Hands down! The best edge control I have ever used and I have used a lot of them. Stayed all day! No flakes and non greasy! And this one is not even the strongest in the line. Love this product!" —Seabea2013
Get it from Amazon for $7.50+ (available in two sizes).
14. A squeezy bag of Hairstory's New Wash, a wonderful elixir that's a godsend for people with fine hair. If you like your hair a lot more when it's been a few days since you washed it, this cleanser could be the key to glossy, soft hair every day.
This cowash is meant to be used instead of shampoo and conditioner (learn more about cowashes here). It's good for all hair types, even dyed hair. It's detergent-, sulfate-, paraben-, and synthetic fragrance-free, and not tested on animals. To apply, cover your hair and scalp in the good stuff, attend to other shower needs, and then rinse out very thoroughly (a scalp brush can help!).
Not to be dramatic, but I'm genuinely furious that I couldn't have this product growing up. This cleansing conditioner has completely changed my dry, frizzy hair for the better. I have fine, thin hair that always looks better the longer I go without washing it. I've tried other cowashes in the past, but they left my hair feeling limp and weighed down. This stuff gives me "washed my hair two days ago" shine right out of the shower. I always air dry my hair, and now it dries in loose ringlets that show my locks are happy and healthy. My hair has always been a source of stress for me (there's so little of it and it's so delicate) but for the first time ever I can truly say I love my hair. What a dream! While the $40 price tag for 8 ounces is pretty hefty, it's worth every cent in my book.
I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who's hair gets greasy after a day or two, but it's perfect for those with ultra-dry hair and scalps.
Get it from Hairstory for $40 (available in classic, deep, and rich).
15. A bottle of water-resistant L'Oreal Paris root cover-up spray to stretch out times between coloring sessions. Just spritz and go (right past the salon)!
17. Or a 2-in-1 ionic hair straightener brush that'll let you straighten and detangle at the same time. It cuts down on straightening time so you have more time to admire your new 'do.
18. Orrr a Revlon hot air brush capable of drying and styling hair with just a few passes. By combining the powers of brush and hair dryer, you can get out the door way faster.
20. A Sachajuan leave-in conditioner made especially for those of us with thinner hair. It adds body and hydration without weighing you down.
21. Miss Jessie's Pillow Soft Curls that softens, styles, and holds curls. Big, soft, bouncy curls are in your future!
22. A bottle of tasty blueberry biotin gummies you'll actually want to eat every day.
23. A microwavable headband that gives you beachy curls in just 30 minutes. Simply wrap the warm headband around your head, tuck in your hair, and let sit. It's a low-heat option that delivers hot tool results.
24. Or Octocurl, a no-heat hair curler that you wear overnight to achieve anything from fun beachy waves to tight curls.
Promising review: "This product was very easy to use and my hair actually curled! My hair is naturally very straight and fine, and I am allergic to most hair product so I try to avoid using any. I ran a wet hairbrush through my hair to dampen, rolled each hair strand around two of the vertical strips, rolled up, and used the provided hair ties to tie each strand up. The next morning I ran my fingers through my hair and I was done! It is fast, easy, and the final result exceeded my expectations." —Verona B.
Get it from Amazon for $27.99+ (available in three styles and nine colors).