Attention: This Is Part III – And Possibly The Wildest Version – Of Bizarre Baby Naming Stories
"My friend was named after the doctor that performed his mom’s boob job."
1. "I was supposed to be named Alicia, but my mom wasn’t present when the nurse came in with the birth certificate and my dad realized he didn’t know how to spell Alicia, so he went with the closest name he could spell — Ashley."
2. "I was named after Hurricane Allison. Yup, I got named after a weather event that was killing people at the time."
3. "My friend was named after the doctor that performed his mom’s boob job!"
4. My dad wanted to name me Bubba, but mom struck that down. At a loss, he pulled a $20 out of his wallet and bam, I was Andrew.
5. "My dad couldn’t name me after his favorite baseball player because I was a girl, so I was named Camden after Camden Yards — a baseball stadium."
6. "My mom’s friend named her kid Aswad just because she thought it sounded good. It’s not a family name or anything — she just woke up one day and went, 'Yep, I’m naming my kid Ass wad.'"
7. "I'm named Rianna because my mom misheard the Fleetwood Mac song 'Rhiannon.'"
8. I was pregnant and looking for a unique name no one else had when I watched Men in Black one night. The line 'The galaxy is on Orion's Belt' stuck out to me, so my son is now named after the cat from Men In Black.
9. "My dad liked the song ‘Brandy’ by Looking Glass and wanted that to be my name. My mom didn’t think it was formal enough, so she made up Brandella."
10. "I’m named after Lori Petty’s character, Tyler, in Point Break. Everyone assumes I’m a boy."
11. "My dad wanted to name me Mischa. My mom wanted to name me Tara. My brother wanted to name me Angela after Angela on Who's The Boss? Somehow my brother won."
12. "My brother's name is William and our last name is Wallace, so he is William Wallace like the historical figure in Braveheart. My brother gets a lot of people yelling 'Freedom!' as he goes by."
13. "My mom found an old picture of my grandma's cat, and on the back it said the cat's name: Whit. So that's what they named me."
14. "My mom used to be really into Eminem. His daughter's name is Hailie — and now henceforth that’s my name."
15. "My mom was named Lisa Marie after Lisa Marie Presley. She complained about her name for years, then turned around and gave me the middle name 'Elisabeth' after herself — 'E-LISA-beth."
16. "My name was going to be Rebecca, but when my mom was about 8 months pregnant my father read an article about a woman named Caitlin who was arrested for a bunch of IRA bombings. His thought was basically, 'Oh that's a good name for a girl.' So I'm named after a terrorist."
17. My mom was pregnant with me when a customer's young daughter had to pee, so she took her to the bathroom. On the way she asked her what her name was (Emily), and my mom liked it. So I'm named after a pee kid."
18. "My dad was a cashier at Walmart while my mom was pregnant. A woman came through his line and paid with a check. He saw her name on the check — Ali — and liked it, so he suggested it to my mom and she liked it too."
19. "My dad was stoned and fell in love with the song 'Gina' by Michael Bolton."
20. "I'm named after the very problematic female lead in Forrest Gump: Jenny. I suffered through years of kids calling me 'Jen-nay.'"
21. "I saw an episode of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? where the contestant said her children are named Parker and Pepper, after Peter Parker and Pepper Potts from Marvel."
22. "My cousin's legal name is Gus — not Augustus or Angus, just Gus. His older brother got to help choose the name, and he was obsessed Cinderella and the little mouse, Gus-Gus. My aunt thought it was cute and went along with it."
23. My mom was 16 years old and living in Brooklyn, New York with a stripper friend when she found out she was pregnant with me. She immediately quit smoking and drinking cold turkey right then and there (big props). Later, she realized Brooklyn is where her whole life changed, so she named me Brooklyn.
Submissions have been edited for length and clarity.