39 Amazing Coincidences That Are Hard To Believe Actually Happened, But They Did
Way beyond a million to one.
1. "My friends were looking for me on Twitter and searched my full name: 'Morgan Knight.' They all ended up following a different Morgan Knight who looks EXACTLY like me.
2. "At our doctor's office growing up, my brother's chart was always getting mixed up with another kid's because they had the same first and last name, were born on the same day (just different months), and their moms had the same name."
3. "My history teacher was showing us a slideshow of her trip to China when one of my classmates shouted, 'Hey, those are my parents!' Indeed, this girl's parents were in the background of my teacher's picture at Tiananmen Square.
"They not only were visiting China at the exact same time, but crossed paths with their daughter's teacher at just the right moment to photobomb her."
4. "Years ago, my uncle bought me pajamas as a Christmas gift. He left the gift receipt in the box, and when I saw the date and time on the receipt, I screamed! What are the odds? 12/12/2012 at 12:12?!"
5. "I bought some wine gums and thought about an ex from over 10 years ago — it was his favorite candy. We hadn't kept in touch; this was before social media. Later that day, I was eating the wine gums and thought about him again, so I decided to google him. His funeral was that day."
7. "My best friend from elementary school had three sisters, all of whom grew up to marry engineers named Mark. Now my best friend just got engaged — to an engineer named Mark!"
8. "I was working as a call center operator when I asked a caller for her birthday, which was the same as mine — April 20. I then asked the next caller for her birthday and she gave me my brother’s birthday — April 27. The caller joked I should play the lottery with those dates. That night at the grocery store, I decided to play the numbers and I won $380!"
10. "A couple of years ago, I met this kid at a sleepaway camp in New York. Somehow I saw him again at the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco when I almost ran him over with my bike. Then, later that year, I went to my cousin's bar mitzvah and saw him there, too!"
11. "My friend and I went to the Redbox to see if they had Tron. They didn’t have it, so we rented a different movie. Well, guess what we found when we opened up the DVD box to the different movie? Yup, it was Tron."
12. "In my family, for some reason, all the boys (six in total) have the same scar from the same injury — baseball to the left eyebrow. It started with my uncle and recently happened to my son."
13. "One night, my friends and I almost hit a guy on a bike as we were pulling into Taco Bell. He flipped his handle bars and got up as traffic funneled us into the drive-thru, so we never learned how badly he was hurt. Fast-forward a couple of years later...
14. "My best friend and I were born on the same day in the same hospital, and our mothers shared the same recovery room. We didn't meet until we were 17 years old, and our mothers were strangers."
15. "My husband and I woke up one morning to discover we'd both had nightmares where we'd crashed our cars on the same highway with the other person in the passenger seat. We’ve driven on that highway since and have been OK, but it was terrifying the first time!"
16. "I once went to a wedding and bonded with a girl there over how we both loved the band Faithless. We got deeper into it and she said that once at a Faithless gig, a guy peed in a cup and threw it into the crowd, and it landed on some poor girl she gave wet wipes to. It just so turns out I was that poor girl!"
19. "I turned 12 on 12/12/12!"
20. "Last year I was out for drinks with an acquaintance who told me about her new boyfriend — who had the same name as my new boyfriend. She then told me he was currently on holiday in Georgia (the country, not US state). Mine was too.
"I then asked her when he would be flying back and it was the same flight. We had to show each other pictures of our boyfriends to make sure there were two of them and we weren't being double-timed!"
21. "I was born on Valentine’s Day, my sister was born on Mother’s Day, my mom was born on Labor Day, and my dad was born on April Fools' Day."
22. "My best friend used to be a Boy Scout, and one of their 'activities' was to adopt an elderly person as a grandparent. Fast-forward 20 years later, when my best friend and I are going through his photo album, and I see a picture of him with my great-grandfather. Turns out he'd adopted my great-grandpa as his grandfather."
23. "The day my paternal grandfather died, my mom had been sitting in bed next to him comforting and talking to him. One of the things she said to him was, 'Tell my stepdad (Richie, who'd died years earlier) I say hi.' A couple of days later, after my grandfather died, we were at Walgreens looking outside the window when a huge truck drove by with 'Richie says hi' written on the side.
"I’ll never forget that crazy moment."
24. "I turned 4 on 4/4/2004, and my volleyball number (which was completely randomly assigned) was 44 for three years. Now I go to Syracuse University, which has the special number 44 because of football star Ernie Davis."
25. "When I started dating my boyfriend, I told him I was going to nickname his penis 'Pursell.' He looked at me weird and asked me how I came up with that. I shrugged and said it was the first name to come to mind. Turns out it was his mom's last name, and his last name until his dad legally adopted him when he was 6."
26. "I was adopted a few days after my birth and named Mary Kelly by my adoptive parents. Twenty years later, I met my biological mother — her name is Marion Keller."
27. "I moved to a new city and school when I was in the 11th grade. One day I told my new classmates it was my parents' anniversary. One of them said, 'Hey, mine too.' I said it was my parents' 23rd anniversary, and she said, 'Mine too!' I said my parents got married in Brooklyn, and she said, 'Mine too!' So I told her the name of the wedding hall and she said, 'Uh...mine too.'
"Turned out her parents had gotten married in the wedding hall in the morning, and my parents had gotten married there that same afternoon!"
28. "On my college tour at Tufts this summer, my family and I were discussing Solo: A Star Wars Story and what we thought of it. Then, midway through the presentation in the Tufts auditorium, my dad poked me and said, 'Am I going crazy or is that Harrison Ford?'
29. "My husband and I both have dads named Gary. Both Garys had dogs named Woody when we started dating, and both of our moms were maternity nurses at the time."
30. "My dad’s birthday is 7/11, my wedding anniversary is 7/11, my birth weight was 7 pounds, 11 ounces, and my firstborn son’s birth weight was also — you guessed it — 7 pounds, 11 ounces."
31. "My family went to the Wax Museum in Orlando, where I took a photo with Ross Lynch’s wax figure. The very next morning, my family was eating breakfast when THE Ross Lynch walked in. Weirdest coincidence ever."
32. "When I was growing up, my grandfather used to bake these cookies I loved, and he always called them 'Wanda Cookies' because that was the name of the lady whose recipe it was when he got it out of the newspaper. Fast-forward 10 years...
"My grandfather had passed on and we’d lost the cookie recipe. Then my great-aunt moved to town and quickly made friends with a lady in her condo. We had her friend over for dinner and she brought dessert — her favorite cookie recipe. It was the Wanda Cookies. She was Wanda. She gladly gave me the recipe for my favorite cookies, which I still make today."
33. "I moved to a different city and got a job at a hotel. I met my boyfriend working there, and early in the relationship, we were talking about where we lived and I mentioned my road. He said he'd just moved from there. Turns out, my boyfriend lived in the EXACT SAME ROOM in the EXACT SAME HOUSE as me before I did. He literally moved out and I moved in."
34. "My dad died eight months ago, and one day I was feeling upset, so I texted his old cellphone number to tell him that I love him and miss him. I knew it was stupid and that my mom kept his cellphone In his old office, so I didn’t expect a response. But a couple of hours later I got a text back...
35. "I was working at a grocery store, and for months customers kept asking me if my mom worked at the bank. At the same time, the lady at the bank kept getting asked if her daughter worked at the grocery store. I’m adopted, and my birth mom and I had given up on finding each other years before. But lo and behold, thanks to our mutual customers and striking resemblance, we found each other!"
36. "My husband and I went on a cruise for our honeymoon and met another couple on their honeymoon — a couple who'd gotten married on the same day as us. Seven years later, we were on vacation in Florida and went to dinner to celebrate our anniversary. At the restaurant, we ran in to the same couple celebrating their anniversary!"
37. "Once, I went to the drugstore to pick up something, and I had a gift card from there that I'd used once before. The total of my purchase was EXACTLY what I had left on my gift card."
38. "My mother has a picture of herself at the age of 5 on a crowded beach back in the early '70s. Oddly enough, my dad has a very similar picture of him when he was 10. Years later, they discovered they were in the background of each other's photo!
"They were at the same beach on the same day, but little did they know that years later, they would cross paths again and spend the rest of their lives together."
39. "I went to Nepal for a study abroad program and was placed with this lovely family in Kathmandu. I told them where I was from, and it turned out they were very close with a family from my city. I asked, 'What street?' and they said the same street I lived on! I asked them to describe the house — and it was my next-door neighbor’s house!!
"This amazing family in Kathmandu that I’d never met before was best friends with my next-door neighbors."
Submissions have been edited for length and/or clarity.