1. Holmes was “cast” as Cruise’s wife by the Church of Scientology
The New York Post posits that after Cruise’s breakup with Nicole Kidman, the Church of Scientology “put out a casting call for possible brides, telling them that there was an upcoming Cruise movie they might get a part in.” According to the account, they went after Jennifer Garner, Scarlett Johansson and Jessica Alba — and Johansson reportedly showed up for an “audition,” but ran off when it turned out to be at the Celebrity Scientology Center in Hollywood. Holmes, as legend would have it, fit the bill and signed on for the “part.”
2. Holmes was brainwashed when she “disappeared” for sixteen days upon meeting Cruise.
Sources say she was nowhere to be found for over two weeks in April 2005. At the end of the sixteen days, she was dating Cruise and fired her manager and agent. According to Fox News, people believe she was “brainwashed” during this time.
5. The marriage was a five year contract.
Lawyers have denied it, but CBS News notes that tons of tabloids reported at the time of the marriage that Holmes was forced to sign a contract for a minimum five-year betrothal. The fact that they are calling it quits at just over five years has reignited this rumor.
7. Cruise wanted to send their daughter Suri to “Scientology boot camp.”
The New York Post says the final straw came for Holmes when her husband tried to send Suri to join Sea Org, the hardcore Scientology service organization where Scientologists study the religion, while performing manual labor for little pay. According to a New Yorker exposé on Scientology, members sign a billion year contract when they join the organization.
8. Suri’s birth was somehow manipulated.
There were reportedly a few odd things about Suri’s birth certificate, TMZ reports: it wasn’t signed for twenty days after her birth, instead of the usual ten; it was signed by a nurse who wasn’t in the room during her birth, rather than a doctor who actually was. Conspiracy theorists suggest that Suri was actually born months earlier, or that the child isn’t actually Cruise’s, according to Socialite Life.
9. Holmes said she felt like a character in “Rosemary’s Baby.”
From Us Weekly: “‘Every move she made and everything she did was controlled … She felt like she was in Rosemary’s Baby,’ says one insider, referring to the classic 1968 horror film, in which an aspiring young actress (Mia Farrow) unwittingly bears a child for her husband’s Satanic cult.”
10. Cruise’s three wives have all been 33 at the time of divorce — which may have something to do with Scientology.
Cruise’s three spouses — Mimi Rogers, Nicole Kidman, and Katie Holmes — all ended their unions with Cruise at age 33, The New York Daily News points out. Some suggest that this is related to the fact that Scientology was founded in Phoenix, Arizona, which lies on the 33rd parallel on the Earth’s equatorial plane.
- Today's the final day of the Democratic National Convention — Hillary Clinton is preparing for the biggest night of her life 🇺🇸
- Amazon's in its Prime. The company's profit rose 831% this quarter thanks to its growing cloud computing business ☁️💸
- #TBT: Old-school MTV is returning Aug. 1 with shows like "Daria," "Beavis & Butt-Head," "Cribs," and "Punk'd" 📺 🙌