1. A set of adjustable weights that'll help you gradually work on your lifting skills. With multiple weight levels (from 2.3 pounds to 4.5 pounds), you can give your biceps and deltoids the ultimate treatment during exercise sessions.
Each dumbbell weighs 2.3 pounds alone and comes with four weight blocks (each weigh 0.55 pounds). If you want to increase weight, it's so easy: just add a weight block to each side of the dumbbell and you'll be good to go!
Promising review: "I purchased these so I can do strength training at home. I wanted a set of simple, compact, adjustable weights. This fit my needs. I use one weight at a lower weight and the second one at the highest weight and this helps reduce the time in adjusting the weight during the workout. Overall I’m satisfied with the purchase." —G. Sanders
Get them from Amazon for $31.99+ (available in two weight sizes and four colors).
2. Or heavier adjustable dumbbells, if you're ready to level up your strength-training sessions. Lift between 2.5 pounds to 15 pounds with this set that'll be great for arm-focused workouts and easily fit in your home gym. No more using multiple sets anytime you're ready to break a sweat.
Promising review: "These are exactly what I needed. I can use the lighter settings for workout classes and I am building my strength with the 10-lb settings. I am looking forward to the point when that is too easy and I move up to the heavier weights. The system is easy to use, simple to switch between weights and was much less expensive than other brands. The handles are comfortable too." —LauraWin
Get a set of two from Amazon for $179.99.
3. Push-up handles so you can complete push-ups without straining your wrists. A superior grip and secure treads make it easy to move up and down and align your body, even if you're doing reps on a hardwood floor.
Promising review: "I have deteriorating cartilage in my hands and wrists, which makes pushups painful. The round comfort grips and putting my hands in a comfortable position make pushups pain free. Two sessions at this point with 200 push-ups as part of a home chest routine and no pain afterwards. Completely happy with my purchase. Highly recommend these." —Target Customer
Get a set of two from Target for $29.99.
4. An Obé Fitness membership if your home fitness routine needs a revamp. Choose from barre, cardio boxing, HIIT, sculpt, yoga, and more engaging workouts that'll make your living room feel like a live studio. You can participate in 10-minute express classes or 28-minute live classes. Plus, there are 7,000+ on-demand classes available at any time!
As a web- and app-based service, Obé Fitness can be accessed on a computer, smartphone, or TV. (Tip: Having a wider screen does make taking classes and watching instructors a bit easier.) Just use an HDMI cable to connect to your TV or launch Obé from the app using Airplay, Apple TV, or Chromecast.
My colleague Abby Kass uses Obé Fitness and said: "I started using Obé and then went back to my old at-home workout and switched back to Obé again because I realized I liked it so much. The classes are a great workout, yet the 28 minutes go by super fast, and I’m not counting down the minutes till it’s over. You don't technically need any equipment for the workout, but you can level up with simple equipment, such as a resistance loop, weights, and sliders." Read more of her Obé Fitness review.
Get it from Obé Fitness for $27+ (monthly, quarterly, and annual memberships available).
5. A 1-inch thick exercise mat that'll keep you comfy during workouts. Made with durable foam, this cushy essential feels nice to sit and stand on and it prevents you from sliding. Place this over the floor before your next yoga flow or 10-minute abs session.
This mat is great for anyone who lives in an apartment or studio, because it doesn't take up too much space and rolls up for easy storage. It also comes with a carrying strap, in case you'd like to take it to a gym or yoga studio.
Promising review: "I love my exercise classes, but I find that when we do floor work I have discomfort when laying on my side or sitting in certain positions on my bottom. I started googling to find a 'thicker than usual' workout mat and stumbled upon this one. I instantly noticed a difference the first time I used it. No more discomfort during floor exercises. The length is great — I usually keep my feet on the floor so I don't dirty the mat and I scoot to the end of it to do so, this leaves a ton of mat length left." —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $39.99.
6. Or a large exercise mat so you'll be covered for strength training and HIIT. Reviewers love it because it has a nonskid bottom, it's wide enough for different types of movement, and helps protect their floors. Plus, your neighbors won't hear you as much because it helps absorb shock from jumping jacks, burpees, and lifting weights.
This exercise mat is 6’ x 4’ and is 8.5 millimeters thick. It also comes with a 72"x 26" towel (goodbye, post-workout sweat) and a zippered case to store it in.
Promising reviews: "I love my mat for its large size and thickness. I no longer have knee pains after HIIT or low-impact whole body workouts. After over a month of use with my shoes on, I wipe it down and still looks new. This mat is also perfect for my yoga routines; wider than a regular yoga mat. It is a good investment for my home gym." —Luis L. Magdangal
"I live on the fourth floor in NYC and needed a workout mat that absorbs shock and doesn’t disturb downstairs neighbors. This mat is EVERYTHING!!! It is big, durable, and worth the purchase!" —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $139.97.
7. Resistance bands that are perfect for squats and won't roll up or snap mid-workout. These babies will stay in place on your thighs, thanks to anti-slip material and a body-hugging fit. Plus, you can work your way up from light, to medium, to heavy resistance!
Promising review: "I love the fact that these are nonstick and don't bunch up or down in your workouts. A huge peeve of mine was when the rubber resistance band twirled up or down during an exercise. These stay on you, but don't stick to your body, giving a more comfortable workout and performance. They're also thick enough to keep steady on leg raises or kickbacks." —Giuseppe Valentino
Get a three-pack from Amazon for $14.89 (available in three colors).
8. A mini Pilates ball so you can ~get to the core~ of your flexibility and balance challenges. This little tool will keep your abs engaged during leg lifts, spider triceps, and toe touches.
Promising review: "I wasn't sure what to expect, especially when I saw that I'd have to inflate this ball with a straw. It was remarkably easy to inflate (although it took a few tries to seal it without too much air escaping). It has the same look and feel of the Pilates ball that's used in the studio. It comes with a 'cheat sheet' and I do about 75% of the exercises. A nice addition to my home exercise routine." —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $11.10 (available in three colors).
9. A jump rope with a digital counter that'll count skips during reps. You can also time jump sessions and see how many calories you burned. If you're ready to do double-unders and get your heart rate going, this small piece of equipment will be a big help.
Promising review: "I love how this jump rope has both a timer and a counter. This allows me to jump for a fixed length of time without having to check my phone. I usually jump for two minutes every set, and when the time is up the timer will beep to let me know, and then I rest for another minute before beginning another set. Also, it is difficult to keep counting when I am too exhausted from jumping, and I'm glad that the rope counts for me, so I don't have to worry about it." —Lynda
Get it from Amazon for $16.95 (available in seven colors).
10. Bone conduction headphones so you can comfortably listen to podcasts and playlists on hikes, runs, and walks. With six hours of battery life and an earbud-free design, you'll get to enjoy music and still be aware of your surroundings.
Other notable features of these cool headphones include quick control buttons (back-a-track, skip, pause, and play), the ability to seamlessly change between phone calls and music, and a water-resistant design. They also come with a USB-C charger, earplugs, and a portable bag!
Promising review: "I always have problems finding earbuds that don't fall out of my ears when I run, so these are amazing since they don't go inside my ears at all! I barely feel them on my head, they don't jiggle or move at all when I run, sound quality is pretty good, and I'm glad that I can still hear ambient noise around me while wearing. Highly recommend!" —REI Customer
11. A door anchor to make arm workouts more challenging. Place the ball end between the door and the frame, loop a long resistance band through, close the door, and you'll be ready to do lat pull-downs, tricep push-downs, seated rows, glute kickbacks, and more exercises.
12. A yoga mat with alignment lines, so you can make sure you have the right form and placement during your practice. It has ¼-inch thick padding and a grippy material to prevent you from sliding. Enjoy poses without second-guessing where your arms, legs, hands, and feet should be. 👏
Promising review: "Wow. Just wow. I came here to write a review because I’m so so happy. I’ve been looking for a yoga mat that was long enough for me (I’m 6 ft barefoot ), a mat that wouldn’t slip if I got sweaty, and a mat that is durable and won’t shred easily like the previous mats that I have owned. The markings for alignment are a huge bonus, as I’ve been really delving into my daily practice and working on forming an alignment. This is a feature that I did not know I needed, and I am so grateful it exists. This mat is also a lot more beautiful texture-wise than it even looks in the picture. It’s also very comfortable. It's not too thin and not too thick! For the first time today, I did not spill off of my yoga mat during Savasana :)" —Reya
Get it from Amazon for $31.99 (available in nine colors).
13. And a yoga wheel to help you increase your mobility and strengthen inversions as your flow through your practice. It works to not only stretch your back but also release tension along your spine.
Promising review: "I absolutely love my UpCircleSeven Yoga Wheel. Before I purchased, I researched many different wheels and decided to choose this one. Let me tell you, I am not disappointed. This wheel has assisted me in so many yoga poses and has helped me to even strengthen my inversions. I am also a private yoga instructor and this wheel even assists me in my classes; whether beginner or advanced, this wheel serves an amazing purpose every time." —Jahnee
Get it from Amazon for $41.97 (available in 14 colors and two lengths).
14. A pack of dumbbell exercise cards that'll mix up your indoor training routine with weighted planks, thrusters, and shoulder presses galore. You'll never know what's coming up next in the deck and your arms, legs, and core will be like, "Hello, where have you been all my life?"
Not about dumbbells? No worries, because there are other exercise card decks that focus on bodyweight movements, gym equipment, and resistance bands.
Promising review: "I bought these to get some new ideas to mix up my gym routine. I got a lot of new ideas from these cards. Some were reminders of ones I already know, but there are a bunch of really interesting ones that I've been mixing in. The countless combinations you can create is making my workouts more fun and motivating." —Paisley
Get it from Amazon for $17.97 (available in 19 volumes).