22 Essential Kitchen Purchases You Should Probably Stop Putting Off
Are you a kebob because I'm about to skewer you for not prioritizing these purchases.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A heavy-duty, odor-free, sensor-activated (and easy-on-the-eyes) trash can you won't mind keeping out in the open. We love a multi-hyphenate!
2. A silicone safeguard if you've simply had it up to here (*points to the brim of pot*) with getting boiling pasta water all over your cook top.
3. A wooden cutting board — props if it's color-coded like this one to prevent cross-contamination — so you finally have a proper place to chop and dice your meals.
4. A mini countertop compost bin, because it's not too late to start caring about the environment. In fact, one could even argue that it is *essential* to start.
5. A stainless-steel cleaner that'll not only polish away existing grease, watermarks, and fingerprints but will also help prevent new ones from sticking.
6. A two-stage knife sharpener so you don't have to deal with dull blades (and a lousy mincing job as a result).
7. A multipurpose chef's knife that you can use to prepare vegetables and meats alike. My knives? They're Out.
8. A rapid egg cooker, which perfectly prepares six eggs in any manner your heart desires — hard-, medium-, and soft-boiled eggs, two poached eggs, scrambled eggs, you name it. This way, you'll really have to go out of your way to mess up an egg.
9. An easy oven cleaner that'll utterly eviscerate every last trace of your cooking, because sometimes the biggest cooking fail of all isn't the journey, but the aftermath.
11. An oscillating tower fan with three handy speed settings, which'll help you stay cool while you're bent over the stove top making that Alison Roman dish the Internet told you to make.
13. A digital food thermometer so you never have to play the fun guessing game of "Will I Get Very Sick From Eating This Undercooked Meat?"
14. A do-it-all Instant Pot which combines seven tools (including a pressure cooker, slow cooker, and rice cooker) in one appliance and prepares gourmet meals in a fraction of the time you're probably used to.
16. A kitchen scale that'll convert between five units of measurements so you never fail the math portion of your next cook.
18. A pair of handheld scrapers to restore your trusty cast-iron pan and avoid getting surprise bites of burnt residue in your stir fry.
21. A cutlery brush for a safe and efficient way to finally scrub away the residue plaguing your tricky kitchenware.
22. And dishwasher-cleaning tablets that'll zap lime and mineral build-up more effectively than bleach. You might learn in the process where that unpleasant kitchen odor was coming from.
Reviews here have been edited for length and/or clarity.