15 Infamous Movie "Plot Holes" That Are Literally Explained In The Films And, Thus, Are Not Plot Holes At All
If someone mentions the goddamn Eagles in goddamn Lord of the Rings one more goddamn time...
Have you ever had someone tell you they disliked a film, citing a "plot hole" they just couldn't overlook — only to have them explain the "plot hole" to you and it ends up literally not being a "plot hole" at all?
Well, this week, redditor u/Animeking1108 asked, "What infamous 'plot hole' is just the result of the audience not thinking for more than ten seconds?" and we were treated to countless examples of these maddening non–plot hole phenomena!
So, with all of that in mind, here are just a few very well-known and widely cited "plot holes" that just straight-up aren't plot holes at all:
1. Plot Hole: Why didn't Jack and Rose just share the big door in Titanic (1997) when they could've both fit?
2. Plot Hole: If Buzz Lightyear doesn't think he's a toy, why does he freeze up when humans are around in Toy Story (1995)?
3. Plot Hole: Why was Daniel allowed to do the crane kick in The Karate Kid (1984) when it's clearly illegal?
4. Plot Hole: Why didn't they just fly the Eagles to Mordor in The Lord of the Rings trilogy?
5. Plot Hole: If Cinderella’s glass slipper fit her foot perfectly, then why did it fall off in the first place in Cinderella (1950)?
6. Plot Hole: Why did the couple in A Quiet Place (2018) selfishly decide to have another baby in the middle of what is essentially an apocalypse?
7. Plot Hole: How was Kylo Ren (who had trained for years with a lightsaber) so easily defeated by Rey (who only held a lightsaber for a few minutes) in Star Wars: the Force Awakens (2015)?
8. Plot Hole: Why did NASA train oil drillers how to be astronauts when they could've just trained astronauts to drill oil in Armageddon (1998)?
9. Plot Hole: Why didn't Thanos just create more resources instead of killing half of life on every planet in Avengers: Infinity War (2018)?
10. Plot Hole: How did anyone know Charles Foster Kane's last word in Citizen Kane (1941) when he appeared to die alone?
11. Plot Hole: How did Batman get back into Gotham in The Dark Knight Rises (2008) when it was under Bane's control?
12. Plot Hole: Why don't Marty's parents realize they'd met their own son/remember what he looked like in Back to the Future (1985)?
13. Plot Hole: If Harry Potter was a horcrux the entire time and basilisk venom is enough to destroy a horcrux, why wasn't the horcrux inside of Harry destroyed when the basilisk bit him in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002)?
14. Plot Hole: How does a human-made virus work on alien-made technology in Independence Day (1996)?
15. And finally — Plot Hole: Why would Ariel throw her whole life away for a man she just met in The Little Mermaid (1989)?
Now it's your turn! What's a "plot hole" people always point out that annoys you because it isn't a plot hole at all? Share in the comments below!
Some responses were edited for length and/or clarity. H/T Reddit.