2. Seth Meyers has anchored Weekend Update alone since Amy Poehler left in 2008. He’ll be moving on in December to prepare for his new gig as host of Late Night.
3. Strong has proven to be a dynamic performer who should bring a lot to the Weekend Update desk.
4. “The Girl You Wish You Hadn’t Started a Conversation With” was one of the season’s funniest characters.
8. Bobby Moynihan and Cecily Strong continuously steal the show as employees insulting their coworkers after they think they’re going to get fired.
11. And also made great sketches prior to joining SNL.
12. Strong studied improv at Second City and ImprovOlympic in Chicago, and has performed at the Chicago SketchFest, NYC Sketch Fest, Edinburgh Fringe Festival and TBS’ Just For Laughs.
13. She’ll even talk openly about her bad shows.
15. Seth Meyers congratulated the new co-host on twitter last night.
Very excited about the new Weekend Update co-anchor, @cecilybecily! http://t.co/kEgF8RvwfG
As for The Girl You Wish You Hadn’t Started a Conversation with, it’s prob safe to assume that she died somewhere, mid-conversation.
Thank you times a million for the nice words! I’m excited and crazy terrified and so honored to follow in the footsteps of my heroes! Daaang
18. Her first show as Weekend Update co-anchor will be Sept. 28, with Tina Fey as host.
- Hillary Clinton's campaign manager accused Russia of backing a leak of Democratic party emails to secretly help Trump's presidential chances.
- Russia won't be banned from the Rio Olympics but its athletes need to pass new anti-doping tests to compete, the IOC ruled.
- ISIS has claimed responsibility for a bombing that killed at least 80 people in Afghanistan Saturday.