1. Peter Dinklage was first choice for author George R.R. Martin and producers for the role of Tyrion.
They didn’t do any auditions for Tyrion besides him.
2. Sean Bean was their first choice too.
But they did auditions with other actors in case he rejected the role.
3. Lena Headey and Peter Dinklage were friends before the show.
When Dinklage was talking with producers he suggested her for the role of Cersei.
4. Sophie Turner (Sansa) and Maise Williams (Arya) are good friends in real life.
5. Sean Bean tried to steal Lena Headey’s sandwiches during lunch breaks.
6. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau loves the YouTube video where Joffrey gets slapped for 10 minutes.
You can watch it here.
7. Most of the cast members haven’t read the books.
Many of them don’t want to know the what happens to their characters, fearing it will affect their acting.
8. George R.R. Martin has revealed how he plans to end the series to producers D.B. Weiss and David Benioff in case he dies before he finishes.
9. George R.R. Martin sent Jack Gleeson a letter that said, “Congratulations on your marvelous performance, everyone hates you.”
He also called him, “a very nice young man, charming and friendly.”
10. Maise Williams’ mother didn’t let her read the books because she thought they were too grown up for a young girl.
11. Linguistics expert David Peterson created the Dothraki language for the series, which now consists of over 3000 words.
You can (try to) learn it here.
12. George R.R. Martin originally thought Natalia Tena’s look was all wrong for the part of Osha.
He changed his mind after seeing her audition and now plans to write more for her version of the character.
13. Alfie Allen (Theon Greyjoy) is younger brother of Lily Allen.
Her song “Alfie” is about him.
14. The designer of the dragon eggs gave George R.R. Martin one of them as a wedding gift when he married Parris McBride in 2011.
15. Jason Momoa (Khal Drogo) performed the Haka dance for his audition.
- Turkey's military released an audio recording of what it says were warnings to the Russian warplane before it was downed near Syria's border. ›
- Protesters marched in Chicago for the second night in a row after the release of a video showing the police shooting of black teen Laquan McDonald. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›