1. McKayla Is Not Impressed
The breakout star of the 2012 Olympics was McKayla Maroney and her stinkface.
2. Scumbag ESPN
The Worldwide Leader faces a lot of criticism. Scumbag ESPN is a good delivery mechanism for these complaints.
3. Ridiculously Photogenic Guy
The most famous marathoner of the year. Marathons are sports. This counts.
4. The U.S. Women’s Gymnastics Team As Mean Girls
They definitely were the cool kids at this year’s Olympics, and this captured the vibe some of the girls gave off. (“Some of the girls” = McKayla Maroney.)
5. Smokin’ Jay Cutler
Jay Cutler has long history of being criticized for being apathetic. Nothing has better captured that criticism than the simple Photoshops of Cutler with a cigarette dangling from his lip.
6. Anthony Davis’ Unibrow
Former Kentucky star and current NBA rookie Anthony Davis has a unibrow. He talks about it being his brand. The Internet talks about it being funny.
7. Mo Farah Running Away From Things
Team Great Britain’s Mo Farah became a star at the Olympics because of his talent, and a star on the Internet because of the way he looks wacky in this picture.
8. Good Job, Good Effort Kid
After the Heat lost to the Celtics at home in the playoffs, things looked dire. Of course, the Heat would go on to win the series and eventually the title, but on the night of the loss, one innocent child fan’s yells of “Good job! Good effort!” caught America’s imagination.
9. The NFL Replacement Refs
When the NFL refs were locked out at the beginning of this season, replacement refs filled their shoes. They filled them badly. The festival of errors turned into golden Internet comedy.
10. The Derrick Rose Injury
Who would have thought that funny Photoshops would be a way for Bulls fans to cope with the loss of their star? The pictures were an interesting mix of hilarious and oddly heartfelt.
11. That’s a Clown Question, Bro
When a Canadian reporter asked then 19-year-old Bryce Harper what his favorite beer was, Harper responded with this now famous quote: “That’s a clown question, bro.” The meme even transcended the Internet and baseball when Senator Harry Reid used the phrase.
12. Mom Made Pizza Rolls
OK, this one probably doesn’t count as a meme, but it’s the single greatest sports image macro of the year, so it gets included. Also because Harden looks like a muppet.
13. Unimpressed Queen Elizabeth
The queen did not look like she had a great time at the Olympic opening ceremony. The Internet had a great time talking about her bad time though.
14. Ridiculously Photogenic Football Player
As far as derivative memes go, the Ridiculously Photogenic Football Player meme was pretty great. Brandon Lloyd has one heck of a smile.
15. LeBron James’ Hairline
LeBron has a ring, so all of those ringless jokes are finished, but thankfully we now have LeBron’s ever-evaporating hairline to laugh at.
- President Obama addressed the 54-member African Union, a first for a sitting U.S. president. The speech marks the end of his historic five-day trip to East Africa.
- The Boy Scouts of America has ended its ban on gay leaders, two years after lifting a ban on gay youth members.
- Boston is no longer pursuing a bid to host the 2024 summer Olympics.
- The Arizona Cardinals have hired the NFL's first female coach.