1. Yesterday the New York Times reported that Cecily Strong will join Seth Meyers as SNL’s new Weekend Update host.
2. Seth Meyers has anchored Weekend Update alone since Amy Poehler left in 2008. He’ll be moving on in December to prepare for his new gig as host of Late Night.
3. Strong has proven to be a dynamic performer who should bring a lot to the Weekend Update desk.
4. “The Girl You Wish You Hadn’t Started a Conversation With” was one of the season’s funniest characters.
6. And her performance as a “porn-star turned Swarovski Crystal spokeswoman” is hilarious.
8. Bobby Moynihan and Cecily Strong continuously steal the show as employees insulting their coworkers after they think they’re going to get fired.
11. And also made great sketches prior to joining SNL.
12. Strong studied improv at Second City and ImprovOlympic in Chicago, and has performed at the Chicago SketchFest, NYC Sketch Fest, Edinburgh Fringe Festival and TBS’ Just For Laughs.
13. She’ll even talk openly about her bad shows.
14. “Cecily, from the first show, was right there,” said SNL producer Lorne Michaels. “She exploded.”
15. Seth Meyers congratulated the new co-host on twitter last night.
Very excited about the new Weekend Update co-anchor, @cecilybecily! http://t.co/kEgF8RvwfG
As for The Girl You Wish You Hadn’t Started a Conversation with, it’s prob safe to assume that she died somewhere, mid-conversation.
Thank you times a million for the nice words! I’m excited and crazy terrified and so honored to follow in the footsteps of my heroes! Daaang