1. Blue Ivy was born.
This manicure was posted to Beyonce’s insanely famous Tumblr, but no one could tell if they were in fact her hands or not.
2. “Fifty Shades of Grey” became a phenom.
5. Instagram got big, thereby allowing a legion of amateur nail artists to show off their work.
7. One Direction’s music hit the US and the band members became nail sensations.
8. Joining the reigning king of girls’ nails, Justin Bieber.
10. Lots of people painted their nails in her memory.
13. Bringing the world together for a month.
14. “Call Me Maybe” became impossible to unhear.
16. “My Little Pony” caught on among grown men.
Complete with their own convention.
18. The “Hunger Games” movie came out.
Inspiring a flurry of nail art, despite the fact that you probably don’t have time to paint your nails when you are fighting for your own survival in a crazed dystopic show of gory pageantry.
19. The restoration (read: vast improvement) of the “Ecce Homo” fresco changed the face of art as we know it.
21. Hurricane Sandy wreaked havoc.
So naturally someone saw fit to commemorate it with a manicure.
22. Katy Perry expressed support for Obama via nail art.
24. Even Paul Ryan got some (toe)nail love.
25. Hostess announced its closure, and the world wept.
Although the individual products (i.e. Twinkies) will most likely continue to be manufactured by other companies.
26. “The Hobbit” movie was released, to mixed reviews.
But this Hobbit-inspired nail art is indisputably incredible.
- Protesters gathered in Chicago Tuesday night after city officials released the video of a white police officer fatally shooting Laquan McDonald, a black teenager. ›
- At least 19 people in seven U.S. states have been infected with E. coli in an outbreak officials believe is linked to rotisserie chicken salads sold at Costco. ›
- Adele broke the single-week U.S. album sales record set by NSYNC in 2000. "25" sold at least 2.43 million in about three days. ›