1. Blue Ivy was born.
This manicure was posted to Beyonce’s insanely famous Tumblr, but no one could tell if they were in fact her hands or not.
5. Instagram got big, thereby allowing a legion of amateur nail artists to show off their work.
7. One Direction’s music hit the US and the band members became nail sensations.
8. Joining the reigning king of girls’ nails, Justin Bieber.
16. “My Little Pony” caught on among grown men.
Complete with their own convention.
18. The “Hunger Games” movie came out.
Inspiring a flurry of nail art, despite the fact that you probably don’t have time to paint your nails when you are fighting for your own survival in a crazed dystopic show of gory pageantry.
19. The restoration (read: vast improvement) of the “Ecce Homo” fresco changed the face of art as we know it.
21. Hurricane Sandy wreaked havoc.
So naturally someone saw fit to commemorate it with a manicure.
24. Even Paul Ryan got some (toe)nail love.
25. Hostess announced its closure, and the world wept.
Although the individual products (i.e. Twinkies) will most likely continue to be manufactured by other companies.
26. “The Hobbit” movie was released, to mixed reviews.
But this Hobbit-inspired nail art is indisputably incredible.
- The U.S. and Cuba have agreed to open embassies in Washington and Havana as they restore diplomatic ties after more than 50 years.
- Greece has become the first developed country to miss a debt payment to the International Monetary Fund.
- Misty Copeland has become the first black female principal dancer in American Ballet Theater's 75-year history.