1. The food isn’t edible.
The convention, which is sponsored by Vogue Knitting magazine, took place in Manhattan from Friday through Sunday. It was held in Chicago in October and will be heading to Seattle in April, and comprises hundreds of classes, vendors, fashion shows and panels. Basically, it’s the entire knitting world squeezed into a Marriot Marquis.
All the knitted food comes from a project by Colorful Stitches, a yarn store in Lenox, MA.
3. Things that would normally qualify as broomsticks or weapons can be used as knitting needles.
These are size 50. Just look at the card in the corner for comparison.
4. It’s not unreasonable to drop nearly a hundred bucks on a single ball of yarn.
Qiviut is a type of muskox, and its wool is legendary for its warmth and durability.
This is a qiviut.
Doesn’t he look nice? Also, “qiviut” is an unbelievably annoying word in Words With Friends and Scrabble and the like, because it has a Q that’s not followed by a U but then THE U APPEARS LATER IN THE WORD.
5. You can get to know the lil’ guys who produce your goods.
7. Former “America’s Next Top Model” contestants steal the spotlight.
We already knew of the strange and beautiful relationship between knitting magazines and former ANTM stars, but it’s another thing entirely to witness it in the flesh. Either this girl is a total doppelganger of April Wilkner, from Cycle 2, or the tradition lives on.
8. Ponchos get their sartorial chance.
Although the model doesn’t look super pumped to be wearing one.
10. You can take a break when you need to.
Complete with hand massages.
13. Literally anything can become yarn, like the tape from VHS cassettes.
These crocheted vessels are by artist Adrian Kershaw, who works entirely with recycled materials.
14. And steel.
It’s by Habu Textiles, and knitting with it feels like magic.
16. Women pretty much dominate, except for the errant (awesome) dude.
- The family of Sandra Bland, who died in a Texas jail cell in July three days after she was detained during a traffic stop, filed a wrongful death lawsuit in federal court.
- Migrant deaths in the Mediterranean have exceeded 2,000, making 2015 the deadliest year for people trying to reach Europe, according to the International Organization for Migration.
- Fox News has announced the 10 Republican candidates who will participate in the first debate of the 2016 U.S. presidential race on Thursday.