1. In Shutter Island, when it was revealed that Leo DiCaprio's character was actually a patient at the insane asylum and not a US marshal.
2. In Get Out, when Rose refused to give Chris the keys, and he figured out what exactly was going on.
3. In La La Land, when the dreamy montage showed Mia and Sebastian living happily ever after, but then it cut back to reality, and Mia was with a different guy.
4. In The Usual Suspects, when Kujan pieced together all of Verbal's lies, but it was too late, and Keyser Söze escaped.
5. In Ex Machina, when Ava trapped Caleb in the house and then escaped via the helicopter that was sent for him.
6. In Orphan, when 9-year-old Esther turned out to be a 33-year-old murderer.
7. In The Prestige, when Robert Angier realized that two identical twins took turns living the life of his rival, Alfred Borden.
8. In Murder on the Orient Express, when literally EVERYONE turned out to be the murderer.
9. In Atonement, when Briony lied about her apology to Cecilia and Robbie because she was too scared to face them, and they ended up dying.
10. In Seven Pounds, when Ben's past was unveiled, showing that he killed seven people while texting and driving.
11. In American Psycho, when Patrick visited Paul's apartment the day after the murders, assuming it would be covered in blood, but it was absolutely spotless.
12. In Interstellar, when Mann lied about his planet's inability to support human life, and he tried to kill Cooper to cover his tracks.
13. In Perks of Being a Wallflower, when Charlie realized that his aunt sexually abused him as a child.
14. In The Departed, when Colin thought he got away with everything but was ultimately shot by Staff Sgt. Sean Dignam.
15. In The Boy, when the porcelain doll of Brahms was smashed, and then a real-life man emerged from inside the walls of the house, meaning Brahms actually survived the fire 20 years ago.
16. In Whiplash, when Fletcher ambushed Andrew on stage with the wrong music because he testified against him.
17. In Black Swan, when Nina thought she killed Lily, but later realized on stage that she actually stabbed herself.
18. In Toy Story 2, when Stinky Pete turned out to be the villain and tried to prevent Woody from escaping.
19. In The Visit, when the mom noticed over video chat that the old people her kids were staying with weren't actually their grandparents, but escaped mental patients.
20. In Psycho, when it was revealed that Norman Bates's mother was dead the whole time, and he was pretending to be her.
21. In Mystic River, when Dave took the blame for Katie's murder, thinking his life would be spared, but Jimmy killed him anyway, and then the real murderer was revealed.
22. In Planet of the Apes, when Taylor came across the ruins of the Statue of Liberty, meaning he was actually on earth the whole time.
23. In the Harry Potter series, when Harry learned that Snape was actually protecting him from Voldemort the whole time.
24. In Everything, Everything, when Maddy found out that she never actually had SCID, a genetic disorder that basically made her stay inside her whole life, and her mother lied to her about it.
25. In Fight Club, when Tyler Durden turned out to be a figment of the Narrator's imagination.
26. In Coco, when they figured out that Ernesto murdered Héctor, and that Coco was actually Héctor's daughter.
27. In The Uninvited, when Anna's flashbacks showed that her sister actually died the night of the fire, and she had been hallucinating her the whole time.
28. In The Shawshank Redemption, when Andy escaped from prison via a hole in the wall, after plotting his getaway and redemption for nearly 20 years.
29. In Saw, when the "dead" body on the ground revealed himself to be Jigsaw.
30. In Goodnight Mommy, when Elias imagined that his brother, who had died in an accident, was alive the whole time.
31. In Now You See Me, when Dylan, the FBI agent responsible for capturing the Four Horsemen, turned out to be the one who orchestrated the whole heist.
32. In The Others, when Grace realized that she killed her children and then herself.
33. In Snowpiercer, when everyone was convinced for years that all life outside the train was extinguished, but at the end they see a polar bear walking freely outside.
34. In The Mist, when David shot everyone because they wanted a quick death, but moments after that he was saved by the US Army.
35. In Gone Girl, when Amy returned and announced she was pregnant with Nick's baby, forcing him to stay married to her.
36. And, of course, in The Sixth Sense, when the flashbacks showed that Malcolm Crowe was actually dead the whole time.
An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated the twist ending of Memento. Instead, it has since been updated with a twist from Planet of the Apes.