15 Problematic And Racist Portrayals Of East Asian People In TV Shows And Movies
"Makes me sick to my stomach."
Here are just some of their responses:
1. First, when Family Guy made a joke out of "sex slaves":
2. In Cloud Atlas, when white actors wore yellowface:
3. In Bratz, when Jade's parents reinforced stereotypes about Asian parents:
4. And when Gilmore Girls also enforced "tiger mom" stereotypes through Mrs. Kim:
5. In Arrested Development, when the character Annyong barely even spoke:
6. In Freaky Friday, when the magic surrounding the Chinese restaurant was unbelievably stereotypical:
7. In The Office, when Michael Scott's jokes frequently went too far for his lovable-but-ignorant persona:
8. In Sixteen Candles, when the "leering" character Long Duk Dong appeared to the sound of a gong:
9. In The Aristocats, when they sing, "Shanghai, Hong Kong, Egg Foo Young/Fortune cookies always wrong."
10. And Lady and the Tramp's offensive caricatures in the Siamese cats song.
12. In Austin Powers, when two women were portrayed as highly sexualized Japanese stereotypes:
13. In How I Met Your Mother, when Asian names were made fun of:
14. In Harry Potter, when Cho Chang's name was made up of Korean and Chinese surnames:
15. Finally, in Breakfast at Tiffany's, when Mickey Rooney, a white man, played a racist caricature:
Is there a TV show or movie that we didn't include that you think is harmful? Let us know in the comments.
Note: Some submissions have been edited for length and/or clarity.