Recently, we wrote about TV and movie storylines that were so bad, the writers pretended they never happened — and y'all had some great contributions in the comments! Here are 17 TV plots that vanished into thin air.
1. When Rufus and Lily's son on Gossip Girl was completely erased and never mentioned again...likely because his existence made the Dan-Serena relationship feel a little incestuous:
2. And when there was an entire convoluted storyline about Chuck trying to figure out who his mother was that ended with him wondering if his Uncle Jack was his father... Then it was never mentioned again:
3. When the reboot of Will and Grace decided the events of the last season — aka Will and Grace both having kids — were just a dream:
4. The whole Lily plotline on Once Upon a Time:
5. When the unpopular character Seven was introduced on Married With Children, then disappeared as if he'd never existed...except for a quick shot of him listed as missing on the back of a milk carton:
6. When Dwight was meant to inherit his aunt's farm on The Office in a spinoff idea that never happened after NBC rejected it:
7. When the Futurama movie Bender's Big Score reversed the events of episode "Jurassic Bark," which was — while loved — often cited as one of the most depressing episodes of the series.
8. When Landry killed someone on Friday Night Lights and then the storyline was completely dropped after it was received poorly:
9. The entire Dean/Amelia relationship on Supernatural:
10. Patrick Gordon's storyline on Downton Abbey:
11. When unpopular character Mark Brendanawicz got another job in Pawnee on Parks and Recreation, but was never seen again:
12. When a woman claiming to be Anne Frank arrived at the asylum in American Horror Story: Asylum, and her storyline (of how she knew Arden) was never resolved:
13. When Jackson became selectman on Gilmore Girls in a rather underwhelming plotline, and then the next season Taylor was back to being selectman as if the election had never happened:
14. And when Jason and Lorelai broke up because he was suing Lorelai's father...which was then never mentioned again:
15. When new characters Marley, Kitty, Jake, and Ryder were introduced on Glee and took over the main cast, and then all got demoted or disappeared in the final season:
16. When Phoebe discovered her mom's friend was her birth mom on Friends, and then the character disappeared:
17. And finally, when Samantha slept with Charlotte's brother on Sex and the City, leading to some problematic slut-shaming...then the brother literally disappeared from existence:
Now for another question — what bad or stupid TV plotline do you *wish* was erased? Let us know in the comments!
Note: Submissions have been edited for length and/or clarity.