On Thursday night, NBC made the eleventh-hour decision to renew the serial-killer drama Hannibal, a critically acclaimed but low-rated thriller based on the characters from the Thomas Harris novel Red Dragon. The show, created by Bryan Fuller, stars Mads Mikkelsen as Dr. Hannibal Lecter, a psychiatrist who kills and eats his victims, and Hugh Dancy as a criminal profiler Will Graham.
NBC’s indecision about whether or not to pick up Hannibal for a second season was likely due to the show’s subject matter and gore, which push the boundaries of network television with every episode. Its decision to renew the show may be attributable, in part, to the rapidly growing, rabid fan base that has embraced the show and spread its popularity across the internet. The meteoric rise of the Hannibal fandom in the two months since the drama first aired is unprecedented — the last show that inspired such a large, organized, and enthusiastic fandom to emerge immediately after its start was BBC’s Sherlock in 2010.
13. And hilariously strange videos.
I love how Hannibal is this sophisticated, yet incredibly disturbing show, but there’s a part of the fandom that just
@BryanFuller the Hannibal fandom has scared the crap out of the Big 3 fandoms on tumblr (Sherlock, Dr. Who, SPN). They think we’ll eat them.
26. There’s even a parody account called “NBCHannibalTags” that takes tags from the official blog’s posts and pairs them with images from the show.
28. Fans quickly began to worry about the show’s possible impending cancellation…
HANNIBAL Held Hostage: Day 7, still no news, still no timetable for news http://t.co/EmeXqGqcSv
32. When NBC delayed making a decision about the show’s fate, Fannibals organized a campaign to save it, sending letters and business cards to NBC and urging people across social media networks to watch.
‘I wouldn’t cancel a show where the fandom sympathizes with a cannibal.’ #EatTheRude @NBCHannibal
Guys, let’s save #Hannibal #NBC. Keep calm, eat the rude and help us saving the show ! #EatTheRude
35. Fortunately for the Fannibals, NBC made the decision to renew Hannibal on May 30, surprising many media critics. Entertainment Weekly reported that it was the “lowest-rated drama to get renewed among the major broadcast networks this season.”
Are you ready for seconds?! Hannibal Season 2 is comingâ€¦
36. Showrunner Bryan Fuller made a point of thanking the show’s fans when the news was announced.
I RAISE A GLASS TO THE FAITHFUL & HUNGRY #HANNIBAL TWITTERERS FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT AND ENTHUSIASM #FEEDYOURFEAR
Hannibal airs on NBC (obviously) and is produced by Gaumont International Television, Dino De Laurentiis Company and Living Dead Guy Productions.
- Swedes are confused after Trump talked about a nonexistent incident in Sweden during his rally in Florida 🇸🇪🙃
- The Trump administration is reportedly considering a set of policies to prosecute parents who illegally enter the US with their children.
- The US ambassador to Somalia gave the country's new president a "Make Somalia Great Again" hat in the color of Somalia's flag 🇸🇴
- One man scammed his way through New York Fashion week by dressing up as Sisqó — and people really believed him 😩