1. Meet Carlee Leifkes and Lucas Unger, a California couple who got engaged on Halloween.
2. The pair pride themselves on being a couple who’s nontraditional, and Leifkes’ engagement ring is just that: It’s made from Unger’s wisdom tooth.
3. The pair, who met at a music festival in Unger’s native Canada earlier this year, came up with the idea for the ring together.
4. “When we’d spoken about it, I’d said that diamonds are so overrated,” Leifkes told BuzzFeed News. “My birthstone is a diamond. I don’t need one to prove how much someone loves me. He’d already moved all the way from Canada to do that!”
5. After his dad mailed them one of the wisdom teeth Unger had removed when he was younger, they took the tooth to a jeweler to see if he could come up with something unique.
6. Although they picked up the ring together, Unger wouldn’t let Leifkes see it until he surprised her on Saturday by getting down on one knee in front of her family and formally popping the question.
7. “We told them we weren’t planning on having a diamond,” Leifkes said. “They were like, ‘You’ve never been traditional! Why start now?!’”
8. Leifkes, who currently is nursing a broken leg, says the pair will be getting married in Las Vegas this month: “I’m going to have a cast, a wisdom tooth ring, a pink dress, and Elvis is going to marry us!”
9. Leifkes says her ring certainly stands out from all the others she sees posted on Facebook: “It’s almost a contest of who has the biggest ring and whose fiancé loves them the most, and here I am with the coolest ring I’ve ever seen in my life!”
10. “What does a diamond signify in anybody’s relationship? I literally have my husband’s wisdom on my finger.”
- Jury deadlocked in trial of Michael Slager, former South Carolina police officer charged with murder in fatal shooting of Walter Scott.
- The US Commission on Civil Rights will visit the campsite where people have protested the Dakota Access Pipeline for months.
- Donald Trump and his supporters have filed lawsuits to stop Jill Stein's vote recount in Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.
- Mall of America, the largest mall in the country, is hosting its first ever black Santa 🎅🏿