2. Before settling on Friends, other titles producers considered were Friends Like Us, Six of One, Across the Hall, Once Upon a Time in the West Village, and Insomnia Cafe.
3. Originally the show was going to focus on just four characters: Monica, Ross, Rachel, and Joey. Phoebe and Chandler were going to be supporting characters.
5. Ellen DeGeneres turned down the role of Phoebe.
7. “Shiny Happy People” by R.E.M. was the original choice for the theme song. It was used in the pilot:
The show was still called Friends Like Us in the pilot.
8. The frame around the peephole originally had a mirror in it. It was accidentally broken by a crew member, but because it still looked good, they decided to leave it there.
10. In the first couple of episodes, Monica and Rachel’s apartment number was No. 5. This was changed in later episodes to No. 20 because the producers noted that 5 corresponded to an apartment on lower floor.
Chandler and Joey’s apartment number was originally No. 4 and was changed No. 19 to reflect the change to Monica and Rachel’s apartment number.
11. “I’ll Be There for You” was co-written by Friends producers David Crane and Marta Kauffman, along with Phil Solem and Danny Wilde, of The Rembrandts.
12. In 1995, the song was No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 Airplay chart for eight weeks.
13. The ages of the cast when the show premiered:
14. The full names of the characters are:
• Chandler Muriel Bing
• Rachel Karen Green
• Ross Eustace Geller
• Monica E. Geller (we never learn what the E stands for)
• Joseph Francis Tribbiani Jr.
• Phoebe Buffay (she never knew her middle name since she had never seen her birth certificate)
16. Jennifer Aniston has stated that she hated the now-iconic “Rachel” haircut.
In 2011 Jennifer told USA Today:
“Let’s say there have been moments I’d rather not relive, like that whole Rachel thing. I love Chris [McMillan, her hairstylist], and he’s the bane of my existence at the same time because he started that damn Rachel, which was not my best look. How do I say this? I think it was the ugliest haircut I’ve ever seen. What I really want to know is, how did that thing have legs? Let’s just say I’m not a fan of short, layered cuts on me personally, so I don’t love revisiting that particular era.”
19. Bruce Willis guest starred on the show for free.
While filming the movie The Whole Nine Yards, Matthew Perry made a bet with his co-star Willis that if the film were to open at No. 1 at the box office on its opening weekend, then Willis would have appear on Friends for free. (Willis was already scheduled to appear on the show.)
The movie opened at No. 1, and Willis donated the money he earned from Friends to charity.
20. Gunther was not originally a speaking part; the actor, James Michael Tyler, got the role as an extra because he knew how to work an espresso machine.
James was working at a coffee shop when he got the role, and he kept the job for the first four seasons of Friends.
Facts via: IMDb
- Donald Trump's supporters think his comments about Miss Universe are no big deal.
- World leaders hailed the legacy of former Israeli statesman Shimon Peres at his state funeral in Jerusalem.
- Anti-Mafia police in Naples have recovered two Vincent van Gogh paintings that were stolen in Amsterdam 14 years ago.