1. Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe were young and in love:
2. LeeLee Sobieski "put a bird on it" and felt the need to show it off on the red carpet:
3. Haley Joel Osment was there as a nominee for Best Supporting Actor for his performance in The Sixth Sense:
4. It was the year that Keri Russell had this haircut:
5. Jodie Foster and Russell Crowe attended the award show together:
6. Minnie Driver and Josh Brolin were very much in love:
7. R.E.M.'s Michael Stipe was there and he looked thrilled, as usual:
8. Jim Carrey, who was nominated in the Best Actor -- Musical or Comedy category, brought his fiancée, Renée Zellweger:
9. Gwyneth Paltrow, apparently, was going through a quasi-goth phase...
10. ...while her frenemy Winona Ryder was riding high with Matt Damon as the ~it~ couple:
11. Hugh Grant and Elizabeth Hurley were still going strong:
12. Best Actress – Musical or Comedy nominee, Julia Roberts was there with boyfriend Benjamin Bratt:
13. Courtney Love came looking like she had been shipwrecked on an island for five months:
14. A very lucky Seth Green was sandwiched backstage by Halle Berry and Claudia Schiffer:
15. Sex and the City took home the award for Best Series – Musical or Comedy:
16. The Sopranos won for Best Series – Drama:
17. Best Supporting Actress winner Angelina Jolie was still very much in her wild child phase:
18. Hilary Swank and Denzel Washington took home the award for Best Actors -- Drama:
Swank won for her performance in Boys Don't Cry, while Washington won for his performance in The Hurricane.
And, in case you're wondering, American Beauty won for Best Film – Drama and Toy Story 2 won Best Film – Musical or Comedy.