We asked members of the BuzzFeed Community to tell us about the worst Thanksgiving they've ever had, and the responses — as well as some of our readers' comments — are hilarious, random, and seriously uncomfortable:
1. "At Thanksgiving dinner years ago there was a huge family fight and my uncle angrily chopped the turkey in half and left carrying his half."
2. "My grandmother accidentally stabbed my great-grandmother in the arm at dinner. She was gushing blood but refused to go to the hospital and instead just wrapped an entire roll of paper towels around the wound."
3. "It was my aunt's turn to host Thanksgiving one year, and she decided to surprise us by making the entire meal vegan, saying she just thought she'd try something 'different.' We all ended up at Denny's."
"I now think she did it on purpose so she wouldn’t have to host again. My aunt is a savage."
4. "The day before Thanksgiving, my family all got food poisoning, and the seven of us spent Thanksgiving throwing up and shitting ourselves in a house with one bathroom."
5. "Last year I woke up early to get all my food prep done, and for some reason, I couldn't swallow. Well, when I looked in the mirror, I legitimately looked as swollen as one of the Klumps! So I went to the ER, where I found out I had the MUMPS!"
"Not only could I not eat Thanksgiving dinner, but I had to quarantine myself for five days while my husband and my kids spent the holidays at my in-laws' house."
6. "My dad tried to fry the turkey and went a little too crazy."
7. "I'm an immigrant and I have no particular Thanksgiving traditions, so I decided to host and make lasagna for my in-laws. My mother-in-law told me she was completely on board with it...then proceeded to bring an entire turkey dinner with her, sides and all. I stopped volunteering after that."
8. "My dog stole the turkey off the counter and dragged it down the hallway, we forgot to pick up my brother from the train station, and my great-grandmother got drunk and tried to race the kids down the hallway in a rolling computer chair."
9. "I arrived to my family's Thanksgiving dinner and greeted my grandma with a huge hug. She was horrified, and had no idea who I was. Turned out she had developed dementia that year, and no one thought to inform me."
10. "I was feeling queasy one Thanksgiving when I was about 5, so I only took one bite of my turkey leg. Well, my grandma didn't like that one bit. The next Thanksgiving everyone got a full, freshly cooked spread...and I got a turkey leg with one bite taken out of it from out of the freezer."
11. "My grandpa elbowed me while I was eating, and I stabbed myself in the roof of my mouth with my fork. I couldn't eat anything else for the rest of the day."
12. "My mother and stepfather were drinking when he said something douchebag-y, she punched him in the face, and he fell off his chair."
13. "I was in charge of making the pumpkin pie and must have switched the salt and sugar, because my cousins said it tasted saltier than the Atlantic Ocean."
"No one lets me bake for holidays anymore." —marissanicoleb2
14. "My hand mixer burst into flames and we had to call the fire department!"
15. "My grandpa backed up the toilet and ended up flooding the bathroom. The smell was so bad we couldn't even finish Thanksgiving dinner at our house."
16. "My aunt's creepy husband made a speech thanking my cousin's new boyfriend (who was meeting us for the first time) for dating her, all while standing up, sobbing."
17. "My ex-husband tried to open a can of cranberry sauce by puncturing it with a sharp knife. The knife slipped and went straight through his hand and we had to make a trip to the ER."
—Patricia Hibbard, Facebook
18. "My mom forced my brothers and I to have Thanksgiving dinner with her new boyfriend and his family. Halfway through dinner, my older brother's IBS flared up and I had a panic attack at the table...at the exact moment my mom's boyfriend proposed."
19. "My grandmother decided to cook a low-carb, low-fat, zero-sugar meal for Thanksgiving to be healthier...without telling anyone."
Some responses have been edited for length and clarity.