14 Funny Tumblr Posts That Also Have Wild Historical Facts
Mind-blowing facts with a side of snarky responses.
2. Sam Bartram, a goalkeeper for the Charlton Athletic, once stood alone on the field for 15 minutes because he didn't realize the game had been called off due to heavy fog.
4. There was a silk monopoly in the sixth century until two Byzantine monks smuggled silkworm eggs out of China.
5. A man once had the hiccups for 68 years. For about half that time, he was hiccuping about 40 times a minute.
6. In 1896, a train company crashed two locomotives as a publicity stunt. The locomotives exploded (of course), and the debris killed two people and injured dozens more.
7. An AI program designed to identify bread and pastries is now used for everything from cancer detection to jet engine repair.
8. If mirrors have a color, it's green, because glass reflects green light more than other colors of light.
9. The term "dashboard" originally came from horse-drawn carriages, which is wild since we now use it to describe digital interfaces.
12. Both John Wilkes Booth and his brother were famous actors at the time when Booth assassinated Abraham Lincoln.
14. And finally, the CIA made some truly bonkers assassination attempts on Fidel Castro, including trying to kill him with an exploding seashell.
Have you ever seen an interesting Tumblr post that made you laugh AND think? Or do you just have a random fact you want to share? Tell us about it in the comments!
And if you enjoyed these posts, give the original Tumblr users a follow!