We asked everyone at BuzzFeed UK to draw a map of the UK and Ireland from memory. On their maps, we asked people to include the locations of the following places:
London, Birmingham, Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Cardiff, Belfast, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Bristol, Norwich, Cambridge, Southampton, Dover, Plymouth, Oxford, Dublin, Cork, The Shetlands, The Isle of Man, The Isle of Wight, The Channel Islands, Anglesey, Bangor (there are two of these), Swansea and Middlesbrough.
2. Some people lacked detail, but they had a pretty good idea about what was where.
Including all the sheep.
3. Others went to town on the detail, because they didn’t have a clue where anywhere (apart from London) was.
4. This person came up with the idea for this post and has a geography degree, so was expected to do well.
And if you ignore the shape of Scotland I’m pretty happy with it, I must say.
5. And while some people got the shape more or less right (if a little simplified).
6. Some people really didn’t.
7. And some people just gave up and drew a penis. Don’t ask what The Shetland Islands are.
Oh no, apparently this is actually meant to be a map of the UK. Who knew.
8. This person thought the midlands is home to ALL OF THE PLACES.
9. And then there was this person, who wouldn’t be too welcome outside of the M25.
Also, they clearly don’t know where penguins live.
10. Some people went as far as including mountain ranges and ferry routes.
11. While others didn’t even include vowels.
12. And though some were understated.
13. Some… weren’t.
14. Besides giving Scotland an Elvis style hairdo, this person has clearly looked at a map before.
15. This person, on the other hand, should have their British passport taken away at once.
Though they did make up for it a little by drawing a Shetland pony.