1. Go to Rihanna’s Instagram page — usually a haven for no-makeup selfies, BFF pics, and snappy comebacks — right now, and all you’ll see is this:
2. Last week, Rihanna posted nude photos on Instagram. After they were removed, she shared the photos on Twitter, and posted this image putting Instagram’s nudity-averse Community Guidelines on blast:
3. Then, Monday morning, after changing her avi to a drawing of her impeccable bantu knot, she disappeared.
4. It’s unclear whether Rihanna deleted her account, or if it was taken down by Instagram.
“We don’t know what happened but have been looking into it,” a rep for Rihanna said in an email. An email to Instagram was not immediately returned.
5. But there’s hope: Artist Richard Prince was banned from Instagram in March for posting a nude photo of Brooke Shields, but his account was later reinstated.
6. UPDATE — May 5, 11:10 a.m. ET: Rihanna’s Instagram account has been reinstated.
7. UPDATE — May 5, 12:50 p.m. ET: Rihanna’s account was taken down by mistake.
“This account was mistakenly caught in one of our automated systems and very briefly disabled. We apologize for any inconvenience,” an Instagram spokesperson said in an email.
8. UPDATE — May 5, 5:47 p.m. ET: Rihanna’s account has disappeared once again, and this time it doesn’t appear to be Instagram’s fault.
“I can confirm that we have not deleted the account subsequently,” an unnamed rep told MTV. Rihanna is over it? #FreeRihanna.