1. Become obsessed with a paint-by-numbers masterpiece.
They’re usually only $10-$15 per kit, providing hours, nay, DAYS of obsessive entertainment.
2. Paint all your cheap-o jewelry with clear nail polish.
It’ll keep your faux gold and silver patinas from wearing off too soon.
3. Send your long-distance friends surprise postcards.
Snail mail! It’s coming back and going to be a thing. Spend an afternoon at antique stores hunting down vintage postcards, or find the cheesiest ones possible and send them off to friends. You’ll feel good about yourself.
4. Make booze more magical.
You could spend an afternoon with a boring old can of beer. OR you could unleash some culinary creativity by making boozy popsicles to share with your roommates or friends. Try Endless Simmer’s Sex on the Beach popsicle recipe.
5. Do a puzzle.
Why? Because you forgot how awesome puzzles are. And they use a different part of your brain.
6. Attempt some intricate nail art.
Requires immense concentration. Guaranteed boredom buster.
7. Plant a kitchen herb garden.
See Not Just a Housewife’s DIY. Cheap, easy, and delicious.
8. Start a vinyl collection, if you haven’t already.
Records make you cool. Also, hunting down used, super cheap ones at your local record shop or at a flea market will become your new hobby.
9. Refresh your middle and high school knowledge.
Homework for Grown-ups is a brilliant (and handsome) workbook that will make you less stupid.
10. Paint your different keys with nail polish.
Why? Because you are bored. And now your keys are easier to identify and much prettier.
11. Re-arrange all your books.
By color, perhaps? Or what about by genre? Or by books you’ve read vs. books you have yet to read? Books are your friend.
12. Ikea-hack a piece of your furniture.
13. Get into origami.
Another activity that requires thought, analysis, and creativity. Once you master the basics, try something even cooler, like one of the tutorials from Star Wars Origami.
14. Spend seven minutes doing this workout.
It’s the Scientific 7-Minute Workout!
15. Find a podcast you love, download a bunch, and take a very long walk while you listen.
16. Do a crossword puzzle.
They make you smarter. True story. Start with this fun book of Will Shortz puzzles.
17. Get into list-making.
It’s the most satisfying activity yet. There’s the classic to-do list. But then there are the aspirational lists — things you want for yourself, for your home, for your pets. You could even keep a list of activities to do when you are bored.
- Afghan officials are investigating reports that Mullah Mohammed Omar, the leader of the Taliban, is dead.
- Officials released new footage proving Sandra Bland was "alive and well" when her mugshot was taken. The release aims to counter social media rumors that she was deceased in the photo.
- Michel Platini, the current UEFA president, will be a candidate in the 2016 FIFA election to replace Sepp Blatter ⚽️