1. The magical Kingdom of Arendelle in “Frozen” was based on Norway.
After scouting numerous Nordic locations, Frozen’s art director, Mike Giaimo said of choosing Norway, “It feels like a world from a classic Disney film, but it’s completely new.”
3. Norway is officially known as The Kingdom of Norway. No joke.
Yes, just like the The Magic Kingdom.
4. Trolls are so important in Norwegian folklore, there are numerous towns named after them.
Trollheimen, Trollstigen, and Trollhatten are a few.
5. Half of the schools and homes in Norway’s capital are heated by burning garbage to generate electricity.
It’s eco-friendly, and Oslo predicts they’ll be able to cut their city’s carbon dioxide emissions in half within 20 years.
6. Norwegians are so efficient with their waste, they have to import trash from other countries.
Norway has imported trash from England, Ireland, Sweden, and they’d like to delve into the American trash market.
7. Norwegian citizens don’t have to pay college tuition.
Norway has one of the highest college completion rates in the world.
8. Norway’s government hired an in-house philosopher to ensure the country’s money is being used morally.
His name is Henrik Syse. He rides the train to work and wears Snoopy socks.
9. The last peacetime execution in Norway happened in 1876.
Kristoffer Nilsen Svartbækken Grindalen was publicly beheaded.
10. In Tromsø, Norway, you can actually chase the Northern Lights.
12. During the summer months, the sun literally does not set.
From May through August, depending on how far North you are, Norway doesn’t have a sunset.
13. So you can run a marathon at midnight, in broad daylight.
The Midnight Sun Marathon is the northernmost marathon in the world.
14. Or reserve a midnight tee time.
15. Norway is home to the most regal Ruff, a small bird that looks like a tiny Queen Elizabeth I.
16. Even when the weather is awful, Norwegians are the happiest people.
When Ivar, a powerful storm, hit Norway, the wind was so strong it was blowing people over. Happy, blissful, Norwegian people.