Leslie Jones' brazen Weekend Update appearance suggests #SNL might actually be able to bring it when it comes to race-related humor.
1. During May 3’s episode of Saturday Night Live, writer and comedian Leslie Jones appeared as an image expert on the show’s “Weekend Update” skit.
Jones congratulated Lupita Nyong’o for winning People magazine’s Most Beautiful award, but said she believes there’s a new precedent for what it means to be black and beautiful.
2. “Back in the slave days, my love life would have been way better,” Jones joked during the skit.
She clarified that she “does not want to be a slave” by joking that she doesn’t enjoy working for white people now. But if she was, she’d be having “superbabies” every nine months, like LeBron James, Shaq, and Sinbad.
3. Some fans were amused by Jones’ skit:
6. While others criticized the comedian:
10. Sunday night, Jones took to her own Twitter account to address the highly controversial jokes in her skit.
15. Jones continued to elaborate on her argument to her followers:
If anybody should be offended is white folks cause it’s what they did. Y’all so busy trying to be self righteous you miss what the joke really is. Very sad I have to defend myself to black people. Now I’m betting if Chris Rock or Dave Chappelje did that joke or jay z or Kanye put in a rap they would be called brilliant. Cause they all do this type of material. Just cause it came from a strong black woman who ain’t afraid to be real y’all mad. So here is my announcement black folks, you won’t stop me and Im gonna go even harder cause we too fucking sensitive and instead of make lemonade out of lemons we just suck the sour juice from the lemons. Wake up. I wouldn’t be able to do a joke like that if I didn’t know my history or proud of where I came from and who I am.