1. Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire have been real-life friends since childhood.
And this is the first film they’ve been in together since Don’s Plum in 2001.
2. Baz Luhrmann said the Gatsby mansion was actually his old high school in Australia along with some computer graphics.
3. DiCaprio wanted to play Jay Gatsby because he was drawn to “the idea of a man who came from absolutely nothing, who created himself solely from his own imagination.”
“Gatsby’s one of those iconic characters because he can be interpreted in so many ways: a hopeless romantic, a completely obsessed wacko or a dangerous gangster, clinging to wealth.” — Leonardo DiCaprio
4. A picture of Zelda Fitzgerald, wife of author F. Scott Fitzgerald, can be seen hanging on the wall in the background of the apartment Tom shares with Myrtle.
5. There are shots of the Empire State Building under construction. The film is set in 1922, but the Empire State Building construction began in 1930.
6. The phrase “Ad Finem Fidelis” can be seen on one of the gates at Gatsby’s mansion. This is Latin for “faithful to the end.”
This is shown as Daisy leaves his mansion, and can be interpreted as a sign of his undying loyalty and love for her.
7. In the voiceover for the trailer, Tobey Maguire quotes passages from My Lost City, another of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s works.
“New York, 1922. The tempo of the city had changed sharply. The buildings were higher, the parties were bigger. The morals were looser and the liquor was cheaper.”
8. The phrase “old sport” is said 55 times throughout the film.
Fifty-one of those by Gatsby himself.
9. Rachel McAdams and Scarlett Johansson were considered for the role of Daisy.
As were Amanda Seyfried, Rebecca Hall, Keira Knightley, Blake Lively, Abbie Cornish, Michelle Williams, Natalie Portman, Eva Green, Anne Hathaway, Olivia Wilde, and Jessica Alba.
10. For this scene (filmed in the Blue Mountains), the crew purchased 100,000 liters of water from a nearby dam to create synthetic rain. Apparently it continued to rain for three days after filming.
11. Ben Affleck was originally cast as Tom Buchanan but had to pull out due to scheduling conflicts.
After Affleck dropped out, Bradley Cooper and Luke Evans were considered and Joel Edgerton was eventually cast.
12. The Perkins Sanitarium (not featured in the novel) is named after F. Scott Fitzgerald’s editor, Maxwell Perkins.
13. The movie was distributed to cinemas with the fake title “North Shore Romance.”
14. Baz Luhrmann has a five-second cameo as a waiter.
15. The building used for Gatsby’s mansion is Sydney’s St. Patrick’s Seminary, where Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban were married in 2006.
- Three major U.S. airlines — Delta, American, and United — have banned the transport of big game trophies after the illegal killing of Cecil the lion in Zimbabwe.
- On August 4th, 2011, the death of Mark Duggan — an unarmed black man — at the hands of police officers in north London sparked nationwide riots.
- Two people were killed and at least 22 injured after a circus tent collapsed amid stormy weather Monday evening in New Hampshire.