2. Make an ice cream sandwich out of a waffle.
3. Take a mini road trip just to eat something amazing.
Roadfood is the best guide to road trip food — hands down. Now a website, the guide was originally a book that came out in 1977 when the writers Jane and Michael Stern started documenting American regional food. Then it turned into a magazine column in Gourmet, and several more books, and now it’s a huge online database of regional meals along highways, in small towns and in city neighborhoods.
All that is to say, pick one meal (or a bunch?) near you, and make it a summer goal to get there.
Pictured above from top left, clockwise: ice cream at Blue Bunny Ice Cream Parlor in La Mars, Iowa; buffalo chicken wings at Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York; a platter from Ted’s Hot Dogs in Tonawanda, New York; a beef taco at El Charro in Tuscon, Arizona.
5. Throw a party with a DIY Hot Dog Bar.
Or get yourself invited to one? Awesome topping bar ideas over here from Bon Appetit. Here are some other great ones from Taste of Home.
7. Have a bowl of cold soup on a hot day.
9. Grill a cocktail.
Get the recipes for five cocktails made with grilled ingredients on Bon Appetit.
10. Eat blueberry pie.
14. Grill a steak.
18. Eat tomatoes when they are in season and taste like dreams coming true.
20. Start an herb garden — even if you don’t have outdoor space.
24. Or, if you’d like to live forever, give up coffee for iced matcha tea.
28. Make a classic mint julep.
32. Preferably out of a flask.
(Even better if your version of a “sick lawn chair” looks like this.)
41. Have an early dinner party outside, and sit around talking past when it gets dark.
42. Make pesto out of summer corn.
This recipe for Tagliatelle with Fresh Corn Summer Pesto — created by Ian Knauer — might be the best part of your summer.
48. Eat as many regional BBQ styles as possible.
Here’s a guide to regional BBQ styles from Serious Eats.
49. Do some day drinking — even when you have to hide it.
50. Grill kale for a salad.
52. Make this incredible black rice salad.
It is so good. Here is the recipe.
57. Make popsicles.
We've got your WKND covered.
- Polls have officially closed in the Greek referendum. The country is deciding whether to accept sweeping new austerity measures tied to further bailout funds.
- The U.S. will face Japan in Vancouver in the final match of the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Captured New York prison escapee David Sweat has been released from hospital and is back in jail.