1. Clive Russell as Brynden “The Blackfish” Tully.
Catelyn’s uncle is finally on the scene. And he’s had about enough of this Lannister/Stark tussle.
2. Diana Rigg as The Queen of Thorns, Olenna Tyrell.
She’s basically the Countess Violet Crawley of Westeros.
3. Ciaran Hinds as Mance Rayder.
King beyond the Wall! No red cloak? Oh well, can’t shoehorn in all the symbolism.
4. Ellie Kendrick as Meera Reed.
Yes! They didn’t cut the Reeds, they just pushed them back. Thank the Old gods and the New because the daughter of Howland Reed deserves screen time.
5. Thomas Brodie as Jojen Reed.
As does her obnoxiously accurate Greenseer brother.
6. Richard Dormer as Beric Dondarrion.
Oh god, Beric. So many feels. I forgive you for not being a ginger on the show. I just want to hug you.
7. Paul Kaye as Thoros of Myr.
Are none of the ginger boys from the books going to have red hair? Fine, the life of fan is so fraught with disappointment. *flounce*
Old Faces Return!
8. Gwendoline Christie as the wonderful Brienne of Tarth.
If Arya is very, very lucky, she will grow up to be this much of a BAMF.
9. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau returns as Jaime Lannister.
This season will basically be “Jaime And Brienne Go On An Adventure” which is totally fine.
10. Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark.
Sansa haters to the left. This girl is 13 and running in the big leagues of murderous intrigue and surviving.
11. Charles Dance as Tywin Lannister.
I’m pretty sure Tywin had his feelings surgically removed after his wife Joanna died. By the end of Season 3, he will be the most second most hated man on the show. Guaranteed.
12. Lena Headey returns as Cersei Lannister.
Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who has the best bitchface of them all?
13. Peter Dinklage returns as Tyrion Lannister.
Dat scar. Ladies love scars.
14. Richard Madden and Oona Chaplin return as Robb Stark and Jeyne Westerling.
I mean, Oona Chaplin as Talisa Maegyr. You can change your name all you want, bitch, we all hate you.
15. Emilia Clarke returns as Daenerys Targaryen.
The mother of dragons is gettin’ real tired of your shit “free” cities.
16. Natalie Dormer and Jack Gleeson return as King Joffrey and Margaery Tyrell.
I don’t like how close they’re standing. But hey, take one for the team, Margie.
17. Michelle Fairley returns as Catelyn Stark.
Look at those fish! She’s on Tully land now.
18. Carice van Houten returns as Melisandre.
Look at how small she is! You’d never guess she just gave birth to a shadowy abomination! What is her secret?
19. Stephen Dillane returns as Stannis Baratheon.
What have you done, Stannis? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
20. Rose Leslie returns as Ygritte.
For all that is good, HBO, please don’t have her say, “You know nothing, Jon Snow” as much as she does in the books. I don’t want to feel the need to punch Rose Leslie.
21. Kit Harington returns as Jon Snow.
He’s a walking hair care advertisement. I’m shockingly OK with this. (You know more than you know, don’t listen to Ygritte.)
22. Maisie Williams as Arya Stark.
Stay strong, kid. It gets worse before it gets better.
23. Isaac Hempstead Wright as Bran Stark.
That’s Bran? He’s so grown-up! Look at him, he’s not a baby anymore. Awwww.
Still waiting on photos of:
- Alfie Allen / Theon Greyjoy
- Iain Glen / Jorah Mormont
- Aidan Gillen / Petyr Baelish
- Jerome Flynn / Bronn
- Conleth Hill / Lord Varys
- Rory McCann / Sandor Clegane
- John Bradley / Samwell Tarly
- Kristian Naim / HODOR
- Sibel Kekilli / Shae
- Natalia Tena / Osha
- Joe Dempsie / Gendry
- Finn Jones / Loras Tyrell
- Gemma Whelan / Yara Greyjoy
And of course, the always forgotten:
- Art Parkinson / Rickon Stark