1. Joseph Gordon-Levitt in a Pop-Tarts commercial:
Before he won our ’90s hearts as Tommy Solomon on 3rd Rock from the Sun, Joseph Gordon-Levitt played a sweet little kid who just wanted to get his dad to start off his day with a “healthy” Pop-Tart.
2. Sofía Vergara in a Pepsi commercial:
Sure, Sofía Vergara may be a famous Pepsi spokesperson now, but believe it or not her relationship with the soda company goes back to 1990, when she appeared in a commercial for them at just 17 years old (yes 17!).
3. Aaron Paul in a 1-800-COLLECT commercial:
Like any working actor, Aaron Paul appeared in various commercials before making it big — most famously his Corn Pops commercial. But this 1999 commercial for 1-800-Collect may be his crowning achievement, mainly ‘cause the commercial starred Mr. T.
4. Amy Adams in a commercial for Commercial Federal Bank:
In 1997, Amy Adams taught us that the best way to sell us free checking is to do it in a Grease parody commercial.
5. Mila Kunis in a commercial for Glitter Hair Barbie :
So it’s no secret that in the ’90s, Mila once starred in a commercial for the ultimate ’80s and ’90s girl stationary brand, Lisa Frank. But she also starred in a commercial for the ultimate toy brand, Barbie.
6. Leonardo DiCaprio in a Kraft Cheese commercial:
Back in 1991, Leo DiCaprio tried to convince us that Fat Free Kraft Singles are as good as regular Kraft Singles — now that’s some serious acting. And, for the record, they’re both gross.
7. Vincent Kartheiser in a commercial for the St. Paul Pioneer Press:
Before he played snotty know-it-all Pete Campbell on Mad Men, Vincent Kartheiser played a snotty know-it-all teenager in this local Minnesota television commercial.
8. James Franco in a commercial for Pizza Hut:
James Franco appeared as an extra in this creepy mid ’90s Pizza Hut commercial, where Elvis resurrected from the dead and decides to have a dance party at Pizza Hut.
9. Rashida Jones in a commercial for the Gap.
Remember those late ’90s Gap commercials where a bunch of models melancholily sang popular old pop songs? Well, Rashida Jones was one of those models!
10. Tobey Maguire for Atari Lynx:
Unlike the Atari Lynx, Tobey Maguire’s (career) actually took off.
11. Seth Green in a commercial for Nerf:
In retrospect, I don’t think you could think of a better person to star in your toy commercial than Seth Green. I mean, the guy plays all day with toys on Robot Chicken. But that hair, yeesh.
12. Elijah Wood in a commercial for Wavy Lay’s Potato Chips:
Elijah Woods was once tormented by City Slickers’ Jack Palance in a Super Bowl commercial for Lay’s Potato Chips.
13. Brad Pitt in a commercial for Levi’s 501:
Brad Pitt appeared in a 1991 commercial for Levi’s, where the message was clear: Being locked up in a Mexican jail is hard, but being separated from your Levi’s 501s is even harder.
14. Paul Rudd in a commercial for Super Nintendo:
In this 1991 ad, Paul Rudd lived out every gamers’ dream by playing Super Nintendo on a huge drive-in movie theater screen, which, apparently, also came with three-dimensional effects.
15. Jared Leto in a commercial for Noxzema:
No, Jared’s pretty face wasn’t the one that needed Noxzema, instead he played the love interest of the ultimate ’90s teen girl spokesperson, the Noxzema Girl.
- A judge ruled that the six Baltimore officers charged in the death of Freddie Gray, a black man allegedly killed by police in April, will have individual trials. ›
- Senate Democrats have secured enough votes to uphold the Iran nuclear deal when Congress votes on it later this month. ›
- Hundreds of Eurostar passengers moving between Britain and France were stranded for hours as people were seen on the tracks attempting to get through the tunnel. ›