B.J. Novak and Mindy Kaling first met when they were both young writers on The Office. On the show they also played Kelly and Ryan , a turbulent on- and off-again couple whose sexual chemistry was constantly challenged by the fact that they were total opposites who constantly fought.
Mindy and B.J. have admitted that they based the characters’ relationship on their own inseparable but tumultuous friendship in the writers room. B.J. and Mindy also dated in real life during the show — according to Mindy, “[We] dated on and off for a couple of years, and now we are just, like, best friends. Like, real best friends. It’s the kind of friendship you have when you are embedded with someone, that you can only get by putting in that insane amount of time with people.”
In other words, they’re basically living out the plot of one of those adorable will they or won’t they romantic comedies that Mindy loves so much. SIGH.
1. Whenever B.J. says super nice things about how talented Mindy is.
“A friend of mine who doesn’t know Mindy told me that for a year she considered Mindy’s book one of her closest friends. People really respond to her voice. It’s extremely intelligent without being the least bit pretentious.” —B.J. Novak
4. Which has this line in the acknowledgements…
“Mindy Kaling gets her own line in the acknowledgments, as previously negotiated by her representatives. Thanks, Mindy. I love you and you’re the best.” —B.J. Novak, One More Thing
5. And also has a book trailer that prominently features B.J. and Mindy arguing/flirting.
8. When Rainn Wilson described Mindy in terms of her looking for B.J.
“To do an imitation of Mindy, all you need to do is just be constantly texting and saying, ‘Oh my god! Oh my god! Oh my god! Oh my god!’ and then looking up and going, ‘Where’s B.J.?’ They’re just best buds, so they often seem to be connected with an umbilical cord. And she gets lost on Twitter and, you know, the hours go by and she’ll look up and she won’t have realized he’s gone.” —Rainn Wilson, in Vulture
And was asked who he was closest to on the set of The Office…
“I was closest with Mindy Kaling, and also least close with Mindy Kaling, on a minute-by-minute basis. And I wouldn’t trade it for the world. Actually, I would trade it for the world. What am I talking about: I’d trade it for a more consistently positive relationship with Mindy Kaling. She’s the best.”
10. The time Samantha Ronson snapped this adorable picture of them.
13. The Vine B.J. posted of Mindy washing a car.
16. When B.J. explained that Mindy is a gangster.
“She’s a gangster. And guys respond to that. This is not a girl who waits by the phone. This is a girl who picks up the phone and calls whoever she wants.” —B.J. Novak
17. When B.J. appeared on The Mindy Project and played a guy with a “platonic” best friend who he was actually totally in love with.
And said in an interview about it, “I don’t know that it’s a direct analogy, but it’s definitely inspired by our relationship. We are pretty inseparable best friends with a lot of chemistry ourselves, and we’re not dating. Whenever we date anyone else, I think there’s a period where the person is very skeptical of our friendship — ‘Everyone seems to think you two might be a couple, and I don’t mean to get in the way. Are you sure you’re not dating? Are you sure you’re not going to end up dating?’ It’s such a common thing to have that platonic best friend that becomes a little weird when you start dating someone.”
18. When he said she is perfect.
“Noooo Mindy you’re perfect don’t get lamer #LOLOL”
21. When he perfectly articulates what makes her such a great writer.
“Mindy has long been considered the best writer on The Office, and every actor on the show thinks she writes for them best,” says Novak. “There is the extra little ‘smile’ that infuses her scripts, which is hard to quantify. My guess is that it stems from a real loving sense of the superspecific inner life of every character. Characters aren’t joke machines to her, or types to satirize. As a person, she’s incredibly sentimental, more than anyone I’ve met, but she’s also incredibly sharp. She’s unabashedly both. That allows her to express real emotions without shyness, but also without clichés.”
22. When they have an entire public discussion about the music at their hypothetical future wedding.
25. When B.J. explained their “great and terrible chemistry” on Watch What Happens Live.
“I would say it was a great and terrible chemistry, and it reflected what we were like in real life,” the 34-year-old actor said. “No one ever knew if we were together or not, including us. We weren’t always on the same page on a given day or a given hour. We fought a lot. We were each other’s best friends. We were inseparable and not talking to each other, often on the same day. And people didn’t know, if she was gone, they would ask me where she was, and vice versa. We were like E.T. and Elliott a little bit.”
30. When he went to her book signing at Barnes & Noble.
She has the slyest smile on her face!
34. When B.J. talked about why they can’t get married.
“The main reason I’m reluctant to get married to Mindy is that every single person in our lives and Twitter feeds would say, ‘I knew it.’ I just couldn’t f—-ing deal with that. But we know. We know what’s there.”
Their inside joke is a reference to this…
So basically they’re constantly reminding each other that they are soulmates.
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3
OOPS, an earlier version of this lovefest indicated that Keough Novak is B.J.’s real sister — she is actually a fictional Twitter persona invented by Novak and his brothers. But Mindy’s relationship with “her” is still adorable. (2/8/2013)
- A US federal judge ruled that Texas can't cut Planned Parenthood out of its Medicaid program.
- The UK Supreme Court ruled that it's legal for the government to keep couples apart because of their income.
- Yalla! You can now download a new Arab emoji keyboard that includes a belly dancer, Oman Chips, and more 👏