Yesterday, a Reddit thread asked users, "What's your favorite piece of useless trivia?" The answers were pretty insane, and, well, useless. While we can't verify that all of these are true, here are some of the best:
1. "Paul Winchell, the voice of Tigger in The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, invented an artificial heart."
2. "Ketchup was sold as medicine in the 1830s."
3. "Penguins have glands under their eyes to extract and secrete excess salt. These are powerful enough that they allow them to drink seawater as their primary water source."
4. "Tommy Lee Jones and Al Gore were college roommates."
5. "To travel from North Korea to Norway, you only have to go through one country."
6. "If you push a living sponge through a fine mesh screen, it will rearrange itself in a few hours."
7. "Horses can't vomit."
8. "Redheads require more anesthesia than non-redheads."
9. "The killer whale is the natural predator of moose. Killer whales attack moose as they swim from island to island in search of food."
10. "The Argentine Lake Duck has a penis as long as its whole body."
11. "Dr. Suess wrote Green Eggs and Ham because someone bet him it was impossible to write a children's book with less than 50 different words in it."
12. "The whole of Australia could fit comfortably into the Sahara desert, with plenty of room to spare."
13. "In feudal Japan, lords purposely built homes with squeaky floors as a defensive measure against ninjas."
14. "Honey is the only food that never expires. The same honey that was buried with the pharaohs in Egypt is still edible."
15. "A second is called a second because it is the second division of the hour by 60, the first division being a minute."
16. "From a botanical standpoint, strawberries and raspberries aren't berries, but bananas and avocados are."
17. "The Atlantic Ocean is saltier than the Pacific Ocean."
18. "You can fit all the planets of the solar system between Earth and the moon."
19. "The Price Is Right and Grand Theft Auto use the same font."
20. "Trump, George W. Bush, and Bill Clinton were all born in different months of the same summer."
21. "Wyoming only has two escalators."
22. "Ohio is the only US state that doesn't share a letter with the word mackerel."
23. "Antarctica is the largest desert in the world."
24. "Humanity has collectively spent about 11,300 years watching the 'Love the Way You Lie' music video on YouTube."
25. "Maine is the closest state to Africa."
26. "Pirates wore eye patches so one eye would always be acclimated to the darkness, allowing them to see in the darkness below decks in an instant."
27. "Pope John Paul II is an honorary Harlem Globetrotter."
28. "On Venus, a year is shorter than a day — meaning it takes Venus less time to orbit the Sun (year) than to complete one rotation (day)."
29. "The average postage stamp glue contains 5.9 calories per stamp."
This post has been updated to clarify that we cannot confirm the validity of the users' responses.