1. Lauren Morelli, a writer on Orange in the New Black, came out today in a touching personal essay.
3. Morelli started writing for Season 1 only five months after her own wedding.
“Five months after my wedding, I flew to New York to start production on my first episode of Orange, and from that moment on my life fell into a parallel rhythm with Piper’s story in a way that went from interesting to terrifying in a matter of months.”
5. The pivotal “phone scene” between Larry and Piper was a scene she had written with words “shamelessly borrowed” from her own life.
“… and as I watched Jason Biggs repeat “I don’t know if you can,” after Piper begs him to let her fix her mistakes, the world around me swirled in a dizzying blur of life imitating art. Or vice versa — it’s hard to say sometimes. By the end of the day I mostly was trying not to cry, and I also couldn’t feel my feet.”
6. Morelli not only had to mourn the loss of her own marriage, but the identity she had known all her life.
“After lugging around a basket full of shame and guilt for the last year, there was a lightness that came with realizing that I could choose to replace my negative framing with honesty and grace.”
7. Morelli also wrote Piper and Alex’s “I heart you” scene in Season 1.
“Accordingly, I was nervous about the first love scene I’d written for Alex and Piper. I’d loved writing it, loved watching a tenderness emerge in their relationship where passion always seemed to be the ruling principle, but by that time, I was so deep in my own self-doubt that I constantly felt like a fraud.
8. Morelli, we heart you too. Read the full essay here.
- The enemy within: Civilians are caught in the crossfire as Iraqi troops move closer to Mosul and face fears of ISIS.
- Donald Trump wants President Obama to be investigated, saying he knew about Hillary Clinton's private email server 📩
- Here's what European cities are offering to convince London's banks, companies, and entrepreneurs to move post-Brexit🍷🌞
- And Millie Bobby Brown — Eleven from "Stranger Things" — looks badass on her first magazine cover ✨