22 College Eating Hacks That Are Cheap, Easy, And Healthyish
Snacks, meals, and strategies for dining hall ninjas and dorm chefs.
We recently asked members of the BuzzFeed Community to tell us their best tips for eating a little healthier at college.
BuzzFeed Health also reached out to registered dietitian Abby Langer, owner of Abby Langer Nutrition, to get her advice.
Btw, most of these tips are for dorm living — like when all you have is a microwave, mini-fridge, and/or access to a dining hall. But a few of them assume you have access to a kitchen, too.
1. Get a microwave steamer.
2. Hoard the dining hall's free condiments to make tasty snacks.
3. Flavor your ramen with soy sauce and garlic powder instead of the included packet.
4. Make slightly healthier choices when it comes to liquid calories.
5. Have homemade versions of your favorite late-night snacks.
6. Keep chicken tenders in the freezer for snacks and meal toppers.
7. Keep sweet potatoes on hand for an easy, microwaveable snacks that can be savory or sweet.
8. Learn how to make a next level avocado toast that's filling and delicious.
9. Stock your room with snacks to fall back on when the dining hall offerings are mediocre.
10. Go in on a Costco membership with other students.
11. And hold potluck dinner parties to save money and get a balanced meal.
12. Invest in a rice cooker to make nutritious one-pot meals.
13. Keep mixed fruit cups in the freezer.
14. Buy rotisserie chickens; one lasts for a bunch of meals.
15. Save some coin by cutting down on meat and mastering some simple vegetarian meals.
16. And save money by buying generic spices.
17. Mix and match in the dining hall to create a balanced AF meal.
18. Put salad on your plate every time you eat in the dining hall.
19. Pack up dining hall salad bar items to add to your ramen.
20. Learn how to assemble tasty, affordable, on-the-go breakfasts.
21. If you have access to a kitchen, master a few easy recipes.
22. Prep just one or two meals for the week ahead.
Responses have been edited for length and clarity.