1. "You should never get married without living with someone first."
2. Alternatively, some people believe that "a couple should not live together before they get married."
"The main reason is that it's much harder to break up when you live together. So the relationship may be over, but people end up staying together because they feel they have to."
3. "You should plan for divorce when you get married."
4. "Nobody should propose out of the blue. It needs to be discussed, so nobody makes a fool out of themselves."
5. "It's not a good idea to get married before your mid-twenties."
6. "Marriage is for people who need validation."
"They need to stand up in front of loads of people, often many they aren't even close to, to get their validation. It just plays into the 'I found someone; therefore, I succeeded' societal norm."
7. "Eloping and smaller weddings are vastly underrated."
8. "I don't think wives should take their husband's last names."
"I think it's an old-fashioned custom, and I've always found it kind of creepy, even when I was a little kid. I have a few friends who combined their surnames after marriage that I get, but otherwise...not so much. Thankfully I married someone that agrees with me."
9. "A prenup is beneficial to everyone."
10. "Platonic/friendship marriages shouldn't be so taboo and frowned upon."
"Not everyone desires a romantic relationship but may have a close friend they live with, and marriage can be so beneficial when it comes to finances, health, or other issues that may arise. So it shouldn't be looked at as 'weird' if someone wants to marry their platonic best friend!"
11. "I feel like anything less than two to three years of dating is too soon to decide that you want to be married for life."
12. "You should have separate homes, separate bank accounts, etc., aka living apart together."
"Sleepovers and such are fine, but I want to keep my own space. I'm an introvert who values her alone time and needs it to recharge. I'm not off doing stuff I'm not supposed to do; I just really like my alone time."
13. "A (potentially temporary) loss of sexual attraction is not always a good reason to divorce."
14. "I enjoy that my husband and I have completely different friend groups."
"You always see sitcoms where part of the 'gang' is a married couple, but that would drive me nuts. I like going to events with his friends and vice versa, but it would be way too much if we had the exact same friends."
15. "Marriage counseling and couples retreats are great investments even for happy couples."
16. "Some people are not suited for marriage."
"I hate that the general public pities single people who choose to stay single. None of us have any idea how happy or unhappy a person is. Yes, even if we know their marital status. We all have different priorities in life, and, for some, marriage would not be fulfilling."
17. "A party celebrating love is cool, but the signing of a contract and involving the government is odd."
18. "Family should not be involved too much in marriage and relationships."
"I've heard many stories about people giving into their family members' and in-laws' demands about things regarding their relationship, and 99.9%, it doesn't go well. Although family members can mean well, sometimes what they want might not be beneficial to the couple. The couple should have more freedom to make decisions for themselves and do what is best for them without the involvement of family members."
19. "Huge white wedding dresses are ugly and boring. It's a fact."
20. And last but not least, "True love isn't a thing, and there isn't just one person you're supposed to spend the rest of your life with."
"What happens is you find someone who is in the same place in life as you, and you form a bond, but even that may not last a lifetime, and that is OK."
Do you have any unpopular marriage opinions that you think should've been on this list? Feel free to drop them in the comments below!
Note: Submissions were edited for length and/or clarity.