4. Holthaus’ article details what to expect from Hurricane Sandy when it hits early next week
Should the storm make landfall north of New York City, coastal flooding would be minimized but several inches of snowfall could drop on the region. With leaves still on the trees in New York City and Long Island, tree damage and power outages would be increased. If the storm makes landfall south of the five boroughs, that would mean the city is in line for Sandy’s worst effects: storm surge, wind and heavy rains.
6. The NOAA coined the nickname Frankenstorm
7. From the NOAA’s press release
THE LION’S SHARE OF GUIDANCE INDICATES THAT THE CIRCULATION ASSOCIATED WITH HURRICANE SANDY WILL PASS CLOSE ENOUGH TO THE AMPLIFYING POLAR TROUGH OVER THE EASTERN UNITED STATES TO BECOME INCORPORATED INTO A HYBRID VORTEX OVER THE MID ATLANTIC AND NORTHEAST NEXT TUESDAY. THE HIGH DEGREE OF BLOCKING FROM EASTERN NORTH AMERICA ACROSS THE ENTIRE ATLANTIC BASIN IS EXPECTED TO ALLOW THIS UNUSUAL MERGER TO TAKE PLACE, AND ONCE THE COMBINED GYRE MATERIALIZES, IT SHOULD SETTLE BACK TOWARD THE INTERIOR NORTHEAST THROUGH HALLOWEEN, INVITING PERHAPS A GHOULISH NICKNAME FOR THE CYCLONE ALONG THE LINES OF “FRANKENSTORM”, AN ALLUSION TO MARY SHELLEY’S GOTHIC CREATURE OF SYNTHESIZED ELEMENTS.
I hope @WSJWeather goes as a #Frankenstorm for Halloween. He described #Sandy as “a Frankenstein of weather badness.”— Rubina Madan Fillion
The weather people are calling the hurricane coming our way “Frankenstorm”— Hanna Marr
Iâ€™m scared of this â€œFrankenstormâ€ heading our wayâ€¦ a combination of snowstorm and hurricane doesnâ€™t sound very nice.— Wei Cheng
If this frankenstorm ruins my stomach baring costume options I will be one unhappy fully clothed girl… #itsnothalloweenifimnotnaked— sarah curtin
Frankenstorm is coming for Halloween— Ron Perez
- A draft of a plan to repeal Obamacare was released that'll block federal funds from Planned Parenthood and cut healthcare benefits granted under the law.
- The widow of a Kansas immigrant who was allegedly killed by a white nationalist demanded answers from the government about stopping hate crimes in the US.
- Time to change your passwords: Uber and Fitbit are among the millions of websites that may have been compromised 🔐
- A billboard in North Carolina that claims "Real men provide. Real women appreciate it," has sparked controversy across the country 👀