1. If your head hurts, but London looks like this, you probably just have a regular headache.
But a migraine might be on its way if London is doing this.
And if sickening chunks of pulstating neon tartan are obscuring important historical landmarks, go to bed immediately.
Then again, you might be one of those people that gets migraine auras without any pain at all and just walk around with a light show dancing across your retinas.
2. With regular headaches, you don’t suddenly get stupider four hours earlier.
3. Regular headaches don’t turn you into Nosferatu.
4. In a normal headache, the blood vessels in your brain narrow. With migraines, they dilate.
5. Regular headaches don’t cause severe pain.
6. You can’t get a regular headache in your stomach.
7. Regular headaches don’t make your stomach stop working.
9. Regular headaches don’t make you vomit and then immediately need to sleep.
10. The World Health Organisation doesn’t consider regular headaches as ‘disabling’.
12. Regular headaches don’t give you week-long hangovers.
Migraines aren’t regular headaches. If someone you know has a migraine, make sure they take their medicine, then put them in a taxi immediately so they can sleep it off.
If you are present during the migraine you may bring them ice for their head and a bucket for the inevitable, and then you must LEAVE THEM ALONE.
Obviously if you think you're having migraines - or even if you're having too many headaches - see your doctor.