1. Maybe you’ve heard! Taylor Swift has a new single called “Shake It Off.” It’s taken from her upcoming “pop” album, 1989, and it has a video:
2. Co-written by Swift, Max Martin, and Shellback, the song’s also got a brief spoken interlude, followed by a bridge where Swift raps:
“My ex-man bought his new girlfriend / She’s like ‘Oh my God’, but I’m just gonna shake it,” Swift says. “And to the fella over there with the hella good hair / Won’t you come on over, baby, we can shake, shake, shake.”
7. In the “Shake It Off” video, directed by Mark Romanek, Swift crawls through a line of twerkers…
8. …touches a boom box…
9. …and rocks gold hoops.
11. Which came off, to some others, as “doing rap hands.”
14. The imagery of “Shake It Off” isn’t as questionable as that of “Thug Story,” in which Swift wears a grill and calls herself “T-Swizzie.”
15. Here’s the whole thing:
16. Swift tried rapping again in 2011, when she was coaxed into doing a verse from Nicki Minaj’s “Super Bass” by a Nashville radio jock.
“I’m not gonna do it right now. That’s for the car, just picture it,” Taylor said to the host, before launching tentatively into the verse, which Selena Gomez had expertly performed several weeks earlier.
17. Apparently, these days, she’s more confident.
- It's the third day of the Democratic National Convention. Here's where things stand 🇺🇸