1. Taylor Swift’s been keeping a secret from us.
2. Since Aug. 4, Taylor’s been teasing us with clues about a mysterious announcement.
3. Well today, during a Yahoo live stream event at 5 p.m. ET, she revealed all.
4. First, she demanded the audience get up on their feet…
5. …while she debuted her new single, “Shake It Off,” for the very first time.
6. “Life itself and who people actually are can be greatly reflected in how they dance,” Taylor told the audience.
“I’m not talking about how good you are, I mean your willingness to dance.”
7. And THEN she debuted the video:
The idea, Taylor revealed, was to “get a huge group of professional dancers and throw me into the middle of them and see what happens.”
8. Taylor announced that her new album is called 1989 — after her birth year — and will be out Oct. 27.
Taylor revealed that she’s been working on the new album for the past two years. “I woke up every single day that I was recording this album not wanting but needing to make a new style of music. What ended up happening was that we made the most sonically cohesive album I’ve ever made – my favorite album I’ve ever made”
9. The album cover is kind of reminiscent of David Bowie’s Aladdin Sane, and Taylor said the inspiration for her new album was late-’80s pop (and presumably stars like Bowie).
“I was listening to a lot of late ’80s pop because I really loved the chances they were taking,” Taylor said. “I loved how bold it was, I loved how ahead of time it was…”
“I found that … it was apparently a time of just limitless potential and the idea that you can do what you want, be what you want, wear what you want, love who you want, and you get to decide where your life is going.”