33 Skincare Products That May Cost A Little Extra But Will Be *Totally* Worth It
Because skincare isn't where you wanna skimp.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A vegan exfoliating body scrub to slough away the rough bumps on the back of your arms and legs (keratosis pilaris is its name but you may have heard it called "strawberry skin" or "chicken skin") with a combination of powerful alpha-hydroxy acids.
2. A hardworking Boscia exfoliating gel cleanser for — clears throat — removing dead skin cells from the surface of your face with its exfoliating molecules (you can literally see "beads" of dead skin), penetrating deeply with AHAs (alpha hydroxy acids) to purify your pores and stimulate collagen production, and firming and brightening your skin with pomegranate enzymes.
3. A lightweight moisturizer because it provides a barrier between your precious skin and all the nasties, like pollution and stressors. Sunflower seed oil, vitamins E and B5, and more nourishing ingredients help the skin retain moisture, improve softness, fade hyperpigmentation, brighten, and gently exfoliate.
4. A skin spatula that'll help remove blackheads and de-gunk pores using high frequency vibrations. This can also help your skincare absorb better since your pores won't be blocked with debris.
5. A tub of brightening, firming, and rejuvenating eye cream so you look vibrant and well-rested.
Promising review: "I have been using this daily for about eight months now. I am 60 years old. It reduced the puffiness and bags under my eyes. I am Sicilian and had dark circles. It has brightened up my eye area. I am very surprised as I have paid much more for eye creams that have done so much less. I recently had pre-cancerous cells removed at the bridge of my nose. After healing, I was left with a dark scar. The dermatologist told me that it would heal over time. Since I began to apply this eye cream, the mark has almost disappeared entirely. I shop constantly from Amazon. This is the first time that I have taken the time to write a review. That's how impressed I am with this product. If you decide to purchase this, you won't be sorry." —Lynda M.
Get it from Amazon for $13.99+ (available in two sizes).
6. A calming cream if your complexion is often red and splotchy. This soothing formula contains centella asiatica — also called "tiger grass" — which calms redness and irritation.
7. Or a Dr. Jart color-correcting treatment to neutralize redness while simultaneously protecting your skin from the sun's damaging rays. This color-changing cream goes from green to beige and absorbs into the skin flawlessly; in fact, some reviewers wear it in place of foundation when they need light coverage.
8. Balm Dotcom, a hydrating lip balm for anyone who's tried just about every moisturizing lip treatment without success. This one's made with castor oil, lanolin, and beeswax to lock in moisture and create a protective barrier.
9. A vitamin C serum because it'll help you say ~c~ you later to hyperpigmentation. It also contains vitamin E and ferulic acid (both have antioxidant properties), and hyaluronic acid (works to plump and hydrate).
10. A box of pore-tightening, skin-lifting face masks that'll truly terrify you, first because you'll look like a zombie once you've applied it, and second because it's so darn effective at reducing the appearance of wrinkles.
Promising review: "I wasn't a fan of this mask when I first tried it (I found it a little irritating and it didn't seem to make much of a difference). Then I used it multiple times a week, and I noticed a huge difference. My friends and family noticed it, too. My skin has a more even tone, the wrinkles around my eyes aren't as noticeable, and it really eliminated clogged pores and breakouts. I've never tried Hanacure, but I think this mask is great." —SpruceMoose
Get a box of eight masks from Amazon for $28.95.
11. A bottle of azelaic acid so you can add a new skincare ingredient to your vocabulary *and* reap its benefits. It can help prevent pimples and blackheads from forming because it increases the speed of cell renewal — which has the added benefit of correcting dark spots. And, it helps kill the bacteria that causes rosacea and acne, so consider it a win-win.
12. A tone-balancing essence if you want an extra layer of hydration before you apply serums and moisturizers. Its high concentration of galactomyces = better absorption of the rest of your skincare.
13. A powerful glycolic acid peel to help improve texture, reduce fine lines, and soften skin. Glycolic acid helps sort of unglue skin cells, so the softer, brighter layer underneath can emerge. But it can be a bit irritating to your skin so start slowly — especially because this peel also contains retinol, a collagen-boosting ingredient that can make your skin more sensitive.
14. An oil-control cream for expertly balancing your skin. It minimizes pores, shine, and oil without making your face flat, dry, and powdery.
15. A soothing mist because it'll make your skin ~smooth like butter~. Seriously — it's in the name. It's especially great for folks with sensitive, red, eczema-prone skin thanks to calming and soothing ingredients like centella asiatica (which we've covered) and allantoin. And lactic acid helps unglue the dead skin cells to reveal glowy skin underneath.
16. A Paula's Choice liquid exfoliant that'll resurface the skin, brighten hyperpigmentation and acne scars, clear pores, and improve skin texture. If you're just dipping your toes in the chemical exfoliant pool (first of all, welcome!!), start by applying this every other day or a few times a week to build up a tolerance and not irritate your skin.
Promising review: "Love this product. Have already purchased it twice. I could actually see improvement in the size of my pores, redness around my nose, and dullness. Mind you, I do follow a very strict skincare routine, but I think that I will stick to this product for a while. I use a cleaner, toner, then this Paula product, followed by my nighttime serum and my vitamin A (retinol) cream for face and the neck, and décolletage cream as well. My husband has noticed the improvement as well. If you are hesitant, you can always try buying the traveling size bottle as well. That's what I did and then I got hooked. Get it! It won't disappoint!" —Felicitas Martinez
Get it from Amazon for $10+ (available in two sizes).
17. A First Aid Beauty cream so your dry, itchy skin is soothed with a mixture of colloidal oatmeal, shea butter, allantoin.
18. A hydrating facial oil if your skin is in need of a lil' extra moisture. Açai, prickly pear, and goji make for a delicious concoction (and delicious-sounding cocktail if you ask me!) that combats fine lines, revives dull skin, locks in moisture, and prevents free radical damage. Yum!
19. A powerful snail repair cream to brighten dull skin, fade discoloration, add plumpness. Snail mucin extract is a popular ingredient in K-beauty products and is rich in hyaluronic acid (hydrates) and glycolic acid (stimulates collagen production).
Promising review: "I'm 55 years old and my skin is a bit sensitive. I don't have a lot of wrinkles, but I'm definitely noticing a few more laugh lines and forehead crinkles than I had a few years ago! I've tried several moisturizers and have not been terribly impressed with any of them until now. This stuff really is great — incredibly hydrating without feeling greasy and it absorbs quickly. It feels great on my skin. In just a few short weeks, I definitely notice an improvement in my skin tone and fewer lines and wrinkles! Plus, the customer service is great. I had questions when I first received the product and got followup response immediately. I will definitely be ordering this product again. I use it in the evening and morning; no need for two different moisturizers. Very pleased!" —sbakey
Get it from Amazon for $17.95.
20. A purifying serum for anyone with blemish-prone skin. It contains niacinamide (also called vitamin B3), a superstar ingredient that protects against moisture loss, tightens pores, and reduces discoloration.
21. A pack of acne stickers because they do the dirty work of slurping the gunk from your popped pimples to speed up healing and prevent you from picking.
These are hands down the best pimple patches I’ve ever used. Why? Because they actually work. IMO they work best on whiteheads, drawing out the pus and preventing me from picking. Once all the fluids are drained (yum!), I plop a patch on what was once home to a very angry whitehead and replace it twice a day (once in the morning and once at night). In my experience, that has been the best treatment for preventing really noticeable hyperpigmentation and acne scarring, which my skin is really prone to after breakouts.
Promising review: "Wife and daughters absolutely love this product. Any time they all can agree it's a home run!!!" —Vallie L Christiaens II
Get a pack of 36 from Amazon for $12.50.
Check out the rest of my Hero Cosmetics Mighty Pimple Patches review for more deets!