Answering the usual, run-of-the-mill job interview questions can be nerve-racking enough, but sometimes interviewers hit you with questions that seem to come out of nowhere.
1. "I once was interviewing for a job and the manager said, 'Do you know any gang signs? Show me your best gang sign.' And I just sat there confused and said I didn’t know any. I literally have no idea why he asked me that. I didn’t get the job, LOL."
2. "Interviewing for a registrar position in an ER, the manager asked if I would have an issue not using the bathroom for eight hours. For some reason I said it was fine and worked there for four years, but honestly I should’ve ran after that question."
3. "I was asked if I was a brand, which one would I be, and why? It threw me, but I said I’d be The Gap. I’m reliable and can be counted on in even the most stressful of situations. I got the job."
4. "Strangest was asking me what part of a car I would be. I was interviewing to be an assistant pre-K teacher, so going from answering questions about kids to cars threw me off."
5. "Interviewing for a PA position, second interview, just me, a lady from HR, and the manager. The manager (male, 40-ish) asked, 'What do your parents do for a living?'"
"When I told them my mother was a SAHM, and my father worked in banking, the manager scoffed and said, 'Right, daddy makes good money, so this job is just a little hobby to keep you busy until you can cash in.' HR was mortified and apologized when she walked me out. Needless to say, I declined the offer."
6. "I'm a librarian and was asked 'if a library could be run like any business, what would that be?' Um....a library???"
7. "She asked me how I felt about conspiracy theories…then went on and on about lizard people and how they apparently run Hollywood and our government."
8. "I was asked what the funniest thing that ever happened in my life was. I totally blanked. Even if I knew, would I want to say it? I couldn’t come up with anything quick enough."
10. "I was asked, 'How do you define honor?' I was interviewing to be a secretary."
11. “How many days have you been absent from your current job, and when were they?”
"I was later called into the office at that job and berated for not disclosing a kidney infection I had had six months prior (when I was at my previous job)."
12. "For a camp counselor position when I was 15, I was asked if I had gotten my period yet, and if not the interviewer (who was a woman, but it was still REALLY weird) wanted to know if I knew what periods were. I left after that."
13. "I was asked how my husband would feel about me doing overtime. By the chief exec. I wasn't aware I'd applied for a job in the 1950s!"
14. "The interview started off pretty normal. We were about to finish up when he asked if he could ask one more question. Obviously I wasn’t going to decline, so I said that would be fine. He then had the audacity to ask me if I enjoyed guilty pleasures such as touching myself."
"I walked out then and there and never looked back."
15. And finally, "I was interviewing for a housekeeping position in a hospital. They asked me, 'If you found a severed foot lying on the floor, what would you do?'"
Note: Submissions have been edited for length and clarity.
What's the strangest question you've ever been asked in a job interview? Join the conversation in the comments.
And for more stories about money and careers, check out the rest of our personal finance posts.