Hi, world! Lara here, and I have endometriosis. March is Endometriosis Awareness Month. Endometriosis is a condition that affects over 176 million people worldwide.
I have been living with it for over a decade now, and during that time people have said a lot of things to me. So I decided to compile 24 of the most "please stop saying this to me" things of all time! Enjoy! Or don't! Either way, I'll still be here.
1. You should try doing yoga!
This may be shocking to some, but doing yoga is not going to cure my endometriosis.
2. Have you considered having children?
There's a common misconception that having children cures endometriosis. This is false.
3. Oh yeah, my cousin's sister's friend from high school had that and she was fine.
Endometriosis affects every single person differently.
4. I have bad period cramps, too.
Endometriosis is not just bad period cramps. Bitch, I wish!!!!!!!!!!!!
5. Why don't you just get a hysterectomy??
1) Because it is not a cure. 2) This is also not an OK question to ask someone, in general. Like, are you my doctor?? No?? Ok, bye!
6. Drinking celery juice every day for 23 days cured my cousin.
Cool. But just so you know, there is currently no cure for endometriosis.
7. You should go vegan/ try this keto diet/ only eat grass for 72 hours straight.
Once again, there is no cure for endometriosis. And also, suggesting things like this — however pure your intentions may be — only makes me feel as if you assume I sit around day after day in pain and do *nothing* about it.
8. It could be worse.
Sure. But guess what? It could also be better.
9. At least you don't have (insert other ailment here).
Not sure how this is supposed to make someone feel better, but go off I guess.
10. How does your S.O. feel about this?
Bitchhhh more importantly, how do I feel about the pain I have to live with every single day???
11. Have you tried CBD?
Listen, I know you're probably trying to help. And while I appreciate it, if I didn't ask for your help/advice...please don't give it to me.
12. If you had a more positive attitude you'd probably feel better.
Do me a favor and live with some sort of pain every single day of your life, try to be positive about it 24/7, then get back to me.
13. You don't look sick.
Cool, well I am sick, so.
14. I have a similar condition to you and I don't have your symptoms so I'm not sure I believe you.
Do you want a cookie, or...
15. Have you tried *insert any over the counter drug here*?
No. What is Advil? I've never heard of it. Can't believe I didn't think of that myself.
16. I can’t *imagine* living like that, I’d be so depressed!!!!!
I have to imagine it every day. And live it, too.
17. My period is like two days!! That’s it!!
FUCK OFF, JANET.
18. I barely have cramps!!
19. Have you tried birth control (or some other extremely obvious thing)?
No, once again, I didn't think of trying anything to ease the pain I live with every single day. I thought maybe I would just sit around and hope for the best.
20. You're probably just stressed out.
I am stressed out because you are telling me that my stress is the cause of the very real disease I live with.
21. Have you tried exercising more?
I will exercise right now by walking away from you.
22. I thought I had been in pain and then I went through labor. You don't know pain until you've been in labor!
Pain is pain. And endometriosis pain is very real.
23. Are you feeling better yet?
No, Janet, because endometriosis has no cure and is also a chronic illness. I don't have the common cold.
24. Does this mean you can't have children?
Do not ever in your life think you have the right to ask someone this, but especially not someone living with endometriosis. Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.